30 minute workout-planet fitness

Aug 07, 2011
review #253951

I like the 30 minute workout, but no matter what time of day you go, someone or more than one comes into the area and gets on a machine and does sets.I tell them it's my turn to use that piece of equipment and they get pissed beyoud belief.

Always causes confrontation. There are no signs saying you cannot start in the middle or do sets. Always a problem.

I have not had one good 30 minute workout yet.

Why can't we do a 30 minute workout with just 30 minute workout people!!!!!!!!Please help us out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ac92c20
Had an experience with Planet Fitness?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Cantrel

Sep 13 Tucson, Arizona

i used to be a member of the Rooney Ranch planet fitness in Oro valley Arizona.
i say used to because my membership was cancelled because twice i asked people to move off of the step or machine that i was to move to next in the 30 minute circuit.
when i asked them to move they looked at me like i was insane.
i then pointed to the sign that outlines usage and they are like huh.
so i went to the front desk and complained and guess what; they cancelled my membership saying that i sought out confrontation.
when you join they tell you the purpose and function of the 30 minute circuit and that same purpose and function is posted on the wall. for me the people that stay on a machine or step and will not move to allow the people that are using the circuit in its intended way are self centered and selfish people that do not care or bother about other people. if someone goes in to the 30 minute circuit and does a single machine or a single step i don't think anybody cares but when another person that is doing the circuit in order gets to that machine or step the person not doing the circuit should know to move. apparently there are many people missing the common sense bone in their body. sure if there is another empty machine or step you can go to it but why should the person doing the circuit have to work around the person that is not doing the circuit. the person not doing the circuit should work around the person doing the circuit. come on everyone knows that don't
... Show more

0 1 Reply
Elle

Sep 06, 2013 Indianapolis, Indiana

At the Planet Fitness I go to, every machine in the circuit is out on the floor except for the steps and I still occasionally observe members who "hog" certain machines in the circuit. I don't think it should be a problem using them as long as you move when the light changes, but it's just rude not to be considerate of someone who clearly wants to use the circuit the way it was designed to be used.

StvMann

Jul 02, 2013 Roseville, Michigan

I think some people just like to complain. If someone is on the machine you're heading for next, skip it and come back when they're done. I do this all the time. As for doing the circuit in order - I usually don't. I don't know how they're set up at other locations, but at my PF they have it set up so that you do 90% of your upper body exercises first, then all your lower body work with 1 more upper body in between. I prefer a more logical approach of alternating upper and lower, so I do skip around the circuit to accomplish this while still observing the red/green lights. Have yet to have a problem either with management or other patrons and have no intention of changing.

1 1 Reply
fatdude

Jun 15, 2013 Salt Lake City, Utah

I'm a pretty big dude (tall/fat). All I have to do is ask people to move and they usually do, and quickly. If it's only me and the meat head who is breaking the rules, I usually just skip that station until they are done and then go back, but I make sure to give them that "you're an *** for not following the rules"/disapproving look. I guess some people think they are above the rules and can do what they want.

May 29, 2013 Winston Salem, North Carolina

Hi there, I'm glad that I found your comment. I just got off the telephone with a customer service rep to voice my concerns about the exact opposite. I was asked to leave the 30-min Express section today when I've been using it for the last 8 weeks (4 times week/average). The manager wasn't ugly...he was very polite and professional and he stated that this section was designated for 30-min workouts. I explained that no one is hardly ever in this section; plus I'm always on the lookout for folks that enter. I also explained that when folks enter and it appears that they are following the 30-sec routine, I ALWAYS leave. He apologized and said that he understood but that's the way the section is set up. So then I said "okay, I'll get up and alternate machines when the light turns red". He said okay. I visited two more machines at the light change and then he stopped me again to tell me that I have to do the "steps" in between. At that time I told him "fine" and I left the gym. MY CONCERN- if I am the ONLY PERSON in the Express section, what difference does it make how long I spend on a machine or if I do the aerobic steps in between? Those steps put strain on my damaged knee. Again, I'm very observant as to who enters and I make sure that I'm not impeding anyone's workout regiment. I certainly understand your point if another member is not being respectful of your time. However, I'm not one of those folks. Yes, I could use the other side of the gym but the reason I like this... Show more

May 29, 2013 Winston Salem, North Carolina

And before anyone "electronically beats me up:)", please understand that I wasn't asking for special treatment. I was willing to get off the machines when the light turned red but the manager told me that I HAD to do the steps in between machines. That doesn't make any sense to me. That way I see it, I'll be in and out of the 30-min Express section in under 10 mins because there's only 4 machines that I use (twice).

FitGal

May 23, 2013

I work at a PF and we have signs posted for members NOT to use unless they are to do the 30 minute circuit. You can also go to the front counter and let a team member services know what is going on and so they can re-enforce this issue. If the employees do their 30 minute club check, they should be checking this area out as well. Trust me you can get your 30 minutes... It is your right as a paid member! :)

Fadamor

Feb 18, 2013 Manassas, Virginia

I use the one in Manassas, VA and there's a sign on the wall in the 30-minute circuit area that states the equipment is for 30-minute circuit users only. There's also a sign that says you can enter the circuit at any of the stations. The expectation is that once you enter the circuit, you continue the circuit in order regardless of which station you started with.

Data

Jan 10, 2013 Canton, Ohio

I am a member of the Canton, Ohio PF and we have no problem at all with the 30 minute express! In fact the mgt. is very strict. I witnesses one manager confront a member . He stated to him that this was his third and last warning he then proceeded to escort the member out and revoked his membership. The mgr told me they don t fool around and they didn't, I always get in a great workout in the express area and finish in 30 minutes!

Sep 12, 2012

This in response to Planet Fitness Worker #10: At the facility I am a member of I first spoke with the staff 3 months ago. They were respectful and considerate and agreed that there was a problem with the misuse of the 30 Minute Express area. The staff knows that this problem happens all the time. That day they spoke with 3 guys who were monopolizing a station and reminded them of the usage policy that is clearly posted in the area. They were asked to use the main gym. Two days later the same 3 guys were using the 30 Minute area inappropriately again. Nothing was said. Since then I have contacted corporate 3 times. Every time I receive a reply from someone different. Short missives sometimes pleasant and sometimes dismissive but basically all saying that the concerns would be forwarded to the "upper management team".

After the first email the regional manager came out to problem solve with the manager. SInce the manager was aware that I had emailed corporate (although I had asked to remain anonymous) he asked if I might have any ideas how to resolve this issue. I suggested I believe 4 or 5 good ideas. For a short time they made an attempt to supervise and monitor the use of the area (which is what one of the signs in the area clearly states- 'this area is monitored by staff'. I also emailed my suggestions to corporate. Same response as before. Nothing changed.

One day after that there was no one in the area and it was off hours so I decided to
... Show more

Fadamor

Feb 18, 2013 Manassas, Virginia

Any particular reason you felt the need to put your water bottle on the NEXT station you were going to use? I set mine on the floor next to the station I'm CURRENTLY using. The whole point of the 30-minute circuit is to get in and out in 30 minutes. If someone is using the station another person normally starts at, they're naturally going to then want to start at the next station in the circuit. Your placing a water bottle there DOES amount to an attempt to reserve the station. It's actually a meaningless act, because everyone shifts when the light changes, so even if the guy just sat down when the cycle ended, he'd have to move on if you're right there. The Manassas, VA circuit apparently avoids all that by alternating the steps with the apparatus. There's no way in *** someone ending on one apparatus is moving directly to another apparatus if they're using the 30-minute circuit properly. If you want to bounce from apparatus to apparatus in Manassas, you better be doing that out in the regular gym floor.

TrojanMan51

Aug 01, 2012

It is a problem, I had two arguments today because I simply asked to get my set in. I bounced around people the entire workout and when I got to the sit up machine a couple had used it for about 30 minutes straight. I asked if I could get my set in and they guy puffed up and proceeded to rage about gym ediquette. No fun!

Had It With PF

Jun 27, 2012

BTW, I don't know why this computer thinks I'm in Chicago, but I'm not. I'm a former member of the PF in Queensbury, NY.

Had It With PF

Jun 27, 2012

#5, you *are* supposed to do the circuit in order. The sign in the circuit area at my (former) PF said so ... and also said (although in very tiny print) that the machines were ONLY for people doing the circuit.

I eventually quit because of the people abusing the circuit, ignoring the signs, not switching machines at the 60-minute prompt, and the staff doing nothing about it. I go to Curves now, and it's like night and day and worth every penny of the higher fee.

Veronica

Mar 29, 2012

A friend and I experienced this today!! No bueno! Some people just don't know how to follow the rules. :x

Sierra

Mar 21, 2012

That's funny because at my Planet Fitness gym there is a sign that says "These machines are for those doing the 30 minute workout. If you're not following the 30 minute workout and still use these machines you could have your membership cancelled"

PF Member

Mar 16, 2012

You guys are being ridiculous, if some one comes in and uses one of the machines, guess what, there are 10 more machines.. Do an extra set of step ups... I only use the 30 minute circuit room and yes, people are constantly coming in and using them, because they are there to be used... Also, some of the machines in that circuit room are not out on the main floor so sometimes people HAVE to come in there to use a particular machine. Quit being selfish and learn to share with others.

May 29, 2013 Winston Salem, North Carolina

Well put, PF Member!! At my PF (and as my earlier post states), no one hardly uses the 30 Express section. I've gotten up twice since I joined in March because it appeared as if I were going to be in another member's way. Faithfully, I hit the treadmill for an hour at the beginning of EVERY VISIT. During that time, I see so many people go into that section and hit one or two machines, then leave. It's not a big deal! It's only an issue when a member that wants to do the full 30 mins is interrupted by someone that isn't being considerate. But like you stated, if someone is occupying a machine, simply hit another one. As for me (or anyone like me), I will continue to get up and not hinder anyone's workout.

Christina

Jan 10, 2012

Sorry to PF Worker, but I don't agree. It's great that you leave a comment here. I have contacted the site and corporate about an issue but was treated poorly at the site and ignored by corporate.

The only way to affect change is to be part of the solution and if the solution includes getting the word out to consumers than I am all for it!

Jan 10, 2012

Stop complaining. I love the thirty minute work out and if people decide to join with me? awesome. there is more than one thing to do at a time and you switch up until you do everything....you don't have to do it in order.

1-20 of 23 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Planet Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×