Planet Fitness Billing Fraud and Unethical Business Practices

Apr 01, 2011
review #230166

My Purpose:

I am starting the process to start a class action lawsuit against Planet Fitness for unethical business practices and billing fraud.

My Story:

I signed up for a one month trial membership, which the salesman was explicit in telling me that there was no long-term obligation beyond one month back in September 2006 at Planet Fitness High Point, NC. Unfortunately for me, I never used the one month trial and ended up moving from North Carolina to Pennsylvania a few months later. I came to find out that they had actually signed me up for a month to month membership with no definitive termination date, despite what I was told by the staff member. The bank account that they had "on file" was technically still open but was not my primary account (I actually was using it as a "savings" account), but when I went to close the account, I discovered a discrepency of $520. Planet Fitness had charged me $10 a month for 52 months and I had never even set foot in the gym and was not even in the same state!

My Goal:

I know that I am not the only person to experience deception upon signing up for a contract, nor am I the only one to have significant disputes with their billing practices. If you would like to join me in fighting back, please notify me by email at aboydinfo@gmail.com

679d450
1.4
Had an experience with Planet Fitness?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Chels

Jun 23

The monthly membership is a month to month membership. There is no one month membership. It explains on the paper they give you when you sign up. You have to terminate your membership before the 15th of the month. Maybe you should pay attention more

Curious

Apr 27

Is it possible to go to the police for theft?

platnes fitness scam

Jul 21, 2013 New York City, New York

planet fitness is a scam. my complain is similar to their norm and is also posted on the BBB site.

i canceled my membership multiple times, via certified mail (which in this day and age is a total BS way to cancel a gym membership) and in person, twice. Still received bills over and over.

do not join planet fitness.

0 0 Reply
Careful on the cancelled accou

Dec 05, 2012

I have had similar issues in Daytona Beach FL. Had contacted them and had coincidentally changed my card number during the same month. Beyond a text saying I was late on payment I had no notice of the bills. After receiving one of the text messages I decided I should stop in so they could stop the texts. Only for them to ask me to pay off my balance of over 100 dollars.

danandsheilab@juno.com

Aug 25, 2012

I am so upset with Planet Fitness in Rio Rancho New Mexico. They have been charging me twenty dollars per month for the past three months for late fees, stating that the bank rejected payment, showing insufficient funds. We went to the bank today and they have no such record. There was never insufficient funds in our account. So Planet Fitness just got sixty dollars from me just like that. I will be contacting the bbb and the local television station unless I get my money back.

youCANgetaREFUND

Jun 14, 2013

I just read your post about being charged for insufficient funds. I had the exact same problem, and I'm getting refunded.

First, make sure you document everything in case they try to tell you something illegal which they did to me.

To get refunded, I went to their website and filled out the members survey. I was professional and polite, but basically told them I was planning on suing if I did not hear back from them. Not 20 minutes later, I recieved an email from Human Resources letting me know they told the actual OWNERS (not manager) about the problem. After about half an hour, the manager (who probably had just gotten a lovely call from corporate) called me letting me know they were refunding me.

It looks like this happened to you a while ago, but I spoke up and got a refund. Everyone else who this has happened to should too!

hahaa

Jun 20, 2012

Read your memberships agreements your *** morons. The contacts have not changed in 10 years and everything is stated in it. You also signed it. sorry to tell you but youre ***!

Jul 21, 2013 New York City, New York

sounds like you work for planet fitness and are happy to screw over your customers. i read the agreement and canceled via certified mail - still got bills. went in person to cancel - still got bills. my location closed - went to another to cancel - still got bills.

0 0 Reply
Fed up with planet fitness shy

Jun 17, 2012

I cancelled my membership at the beginning of the month and was still charged later on. I have both my membership contract and my cancellation contract plus the receipt and the the name of the associate that did it. When I called to asked them why they still have my name on file if I cancelled she said her manager would return it to me by the 23rd. Why the *** should I wait that long, I paid the buyout fee and you are still charging me. Will be there on Monday morning to get my money back and if I don't get it, I'll be sure to either join your suit or call my lawyer aunt and make my own.

Tabitha mannino

Jun 14, 2012

I signed up for a planet fitness membership. It was onlu $10 per month. After a few months I was unable to attend because I was traveling for work. I called to cancel and they said I can't cancel by phone, I sent a letter and the bills kept comming, I wrote a note on the bill and returned it in the return address. It was ignored. I sent an email and was told I can't cancel that way either. To date, I keep getting billed and they refuse to cancel my account. The only reason they don't have access to my bank account is because I changed my account information and they no longer have access. If you collect enough information for a class action suit, please include me.

Tabitha mannino

Jun 14, 2012

pat

Mar 16, 2012

No, if you read the contract "after 12 months, your membership will expire and no payments will be ........
They continue to bill after the 12 month membership and DO NOT NOTIFY YOU AS SUCH.

Pat

Mar 16, 2012

To Seriously and those who call the writer ***. I have tried 3x to cancel my membership with them. They said it was cancelled, my number did not show up on the online member file, (I checked to be sure) - and they have billed me anyway since then. They ignore my letters. Now I have to write a letter, send it by certified mail (as if all my calls and emails were not enough). - and they said "you can stop in " I live in FL now.
Don't call people ***. It's the company and shoddy business practices that are *** and unethical .

This Is Crazy

Jan 18, 2012

They seriously need to be sued. Not only for the *** they are putting innocent people just trying to or staying in shape, but for their false advertisement! 10 a month MY ***. You have to pay 50$ down and they charge you some other *** fee!

1 0 Reply
UrsaNoir

Jan 02, 2012

Has anyone noticed that following every complaint, someone (probably a PF employee) has something negative to say about the writer. They don't dispute the claim. They just try trashing the writer.

Chris

Dec 07, 2011

How can I join you in this lawsuit? My story is long but similar to yours. I'm a body builder and have been openly discriminated against by this bogus establishment. I'm outa there...I guess this is when my 'nightmare' billing fraud disaster will commence!! Let's throw the book at them!! Can you imagine if this was racial and they were giving out the message that people of a certain race were blobbering idiots??? They would've been sued out of existence long ago!'

Rip offs

Sep 09, 2011

Planet fitness has gone so far as to update my credit card info when the card I was using expired. I then sent in a letter six months ago cancelling and they still are trying to collect money by sending me a collection letter cause the card company wont pay them anymore.

ass clown

May 24, 2011

well if it was a no strings attached one month trial, why did you have to give your checking info. couldnt you just make a one time payment?
you my friend are a ***
and who doesnt check their account for a year?
save your money on the class action suit because you have no class or brains for that matter

Seriously

May 19, 2011

This guy is a class action ***..anytime u have to cancel anything w any type of contract or agreement do it in writing 30 day writte notice to cancel is pretty standard in any industry..ur up *** creek w out a paddle..judge is not gonna even look at it especially when the gym pulls out the agreement form..hope u like spending money cuz ur lawyer is gonna screw u too and say u gotta case..writings on the wall and all over that agreement..try again

Showing 1-20 of 27 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Planet Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×