Planet Fitness-way too hard to cancel a membership

Tried to cancel my month-to-month membership today since I have moved and it's no longer convenient to go there.No where on their website does it tell you how to do this.

I called my home club and was told I either had to go there in person(which is 1500 miles away), or I could send a certified letter (and it MUST be certified) stating I wished to cancel, and they would "process my request". Those are the only 2 options. So now I have to go out of my way to go to the post office and PAY to cancel my membership.

Ridiculous.Super easy to join, but they make you jump thru hoops to cancel.

d4fb7da review #217783
167 Helpful? 388
Had the same issue44 Comments125 Report
Had an experience with Planet Fitness?  Submit review about this company

Jun 26

If you cancel CC and open a new account, won't they contact you or possibly sue for non-paid fees after a certain amount of time?

Ms. Kay

Jun 05 Brooklyn, New York

TO CANCEL GYM OR ANY KIND OF MEMBERSHIP. IF USING A CREDIT CARD, CALL CC COMPANY AND REQUEST NEW CARD ,WITH A NEW#. IF USING CHECKING ACCOUNT, CLOSE ACCOUNT AND REOPEN NEW ONE. YOUR BANK WILL NOT DISCLOSE YOUR INFO TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

1 3 Reply
peace and love

Jun 10

I tried canceling mine but wells fargo tells me if there is another transaction happening after I close my account it will be opened again. then if it is I have to pay the 35.00 fee since there will be no money in the account

jeff

Apr 02 Dallas, Texas

here's a trick to do it easier if you have moved.... first just transfer your membership to a gym close to your area,(you can do it online) when it is transfered, you can go to that gym and cancel your membership there. no letter and no traveling 1500 miles.

fuPL

Mar 29

you get what you paid for. PL is shithole, dont waste your time and $ :(

bobcat

Jan 21 Nashville, Tennessee

You should be able to cancel in an easier manner. YOU have a membership number . They should provide some kind of online support to cancel it. THe YMCA you can cancel without doing all that ***.

bobcat

Jan 21

I was in the same boat. I had to go in person to cancel it. I was not using the gym. They make it hard on you to cancel so they can keep charging your checking account. It rubbed me the wrong way . I will never join a gym again. I will buy my own stuff to work out or take a walk or jog.

Nov 29, 2013

I have tried to cancel my membership a few times in the past 30 days to give proper notice and not get an additional month taken from my account after my year is up. ( I hear that this does happen) I have been told on 3 different occasions that I just come in before the 7th of December and "it will be ok"
This is totally annoying since they already took my final months fee out, so all I am trying to do is let them know I will not renew for another year. I have been told that if I cancel right at that moment I will incur a $60 cancellation fee. This gym is outrageous!

Never! Never join this gym!

2 0 Reply
ms.Kay

Jun 05 Brooklyn, New York

all you have to do is request new cc # or a new debit card #., If you gave the your account number, close account and reopen with new #... Never give your acct# always use debit or Credit card, because you can always request for that cc # to be change.

doh

Dec 15

Except that cancelling your credit card in no way changes your contract/membership agreement with the gym. You still have an obligation to either pay as agreed or cancel as required in the agreement. They will eventually turn your delinquent account over to collections I would think. As long as you like defaulting on contracts and hurting your credit, I guess it is ok...

nd

Nov 13, 2013 Lakewood Township, New Jersey

I'm not a PF member. I was looking at reviews to see how others felt about them before I decided to join and I have to say - most of you are misleading. You can't complain that you cancelled a membership and didn't notice two months, six months, or three years later(really, three years?? You haven't looked at your bank/credit statement for three years??!!) that they were still charging your card. That's on you for not paying any attention.

Also, I was initially shocked about the cancellation fee of $58 and the people being charged the $20-$40 fee on top of membership, until I realized that those fees are clearly stated on their website. Plus, you can't be angry that you decided not to go to the gym or ended up in an unforseen situation where you couldn't go to the gym and they still want you to honor your membership agreement...you would want them to honor their side, why would you expect not to have to honor your side?!

A certified letter by the way runs less than $12. You'll spend that much in gas and time driving there or calling, plus it provides you absolute paper proof that they recieved your cancellation request should they continue to charge you. Proof you can use to fight the charges with your bank or in court. Anyone who complains about that is rediculous...it's for your own protection, not theirs, and it benifits only you, why would you not want to do it??!! It's also avaialble at any post-office, which you can find in almost every city
... Show more

8 1 Reply
Oneduality

Jul 28

I followed their cancellation procedures and they still continued billing me.. problem is every time you try you have to wait a month to see if they did it ..
It took me 4 attempts to get cancelled ( translates to 4 months charged ) ... that was two trips to the facility to cancel in person, and two certified letters ..
The first certified letter was to request cancellation following the instructions on the website.. I did that twice! they still continued charging... the third certified letter was to inform them that I went to my bank and had charges from PF blocked ( which I did ) .. and therefore to formally request cancellation again because attempting to charge my card would fail.
I obviously haven't seen charges since because they CAN'T charge me.. but I do have my copy of the certified letter that will keep for my records in-case they try to take any action against me for non-payment.. which I have heard of them doing before!
So yes, in defense of many people here.. PF is NOTORIOUSLY difficult to cancel .. may vary by location and employee you deal with.. but two in person requests and three certified letters that I had to pay to send.. just horrible

Aug 25

The only time i hear you have problems is when you have a one year membership and want to cancel before year is up and you have to $58 dollars. They tell when you sign up and its clear in your agreement . If you pay you would had that problem. You probably sent letter without your or didn't want to pay the $58 dollars because don't they give you a letter when you go there that you cancelled.

Leenaboo

Nov 13, 2013 Garfield Heights, Ohio

I hate this gym! After calling, going into the location, talking to the manager, threatening to get my lawyer & just plain out cursing somebody out; I still don't have a cancelled membership! They took $100 out of my account and then told me I still had to pay $58 to cancel the membership. My thoughts were to take it out of the $100 y'all stole. But what I'm going to do is close my account! I'm so aggravated with this gym! I will never recommend this gym to anyone! Terrible investment!!! :( :( :(

3 0 Reply
PFisawful

Sep 27, 2013

It's funny, that people keep discussing a contract. I NEVER signed a contract with Planet Fitness. I purchased a prepaid membership and never authorized any payments to be taken out of my account. Yet, they still took money out of my account. I sent them a letter via certified mail to stop charges. They still charged me the next month.

Glad I found this site to suggest going to my bank. I will talk to my bank. I have good credit and have been with my bank for over 10 years. I hope my bank will support me versus this disgusting organization. Never, ever, ever go to Planet fitness.

3 1 Reply

Sep 04, 2013 Albuquerque, New Mexico

I want to alert people to the fact that Planet Fitness sets the date you sign up as a member into the computer system but the employees think that the same date the next year is also the date of your last payment. That makes 13 payments. I attempted to explain to more than one employee, including the manager, that they are attempting to collect 13 payments for a 12 month contract. They collect for 30 days in advance so since I paid 9/17/12 and each month through 8/17/13, I've paid 12 times. Not rocket science but three employees did not understand. They can't think for themselves and only look at the computer which is set up for 13 payments. They reluctantly cancelled my membership. EVERYONE! Remember the date you signed your contract. If you are wanting to cancel at the end of your contract, make sure you go in knowing when you made your first payment.

1 1 Reply
new

Aug 19, 2013 Cleveland, Ohio

I went into the gym and filled out a termination form and it was cancelled the same day.

freddy

Jul 22, 2013 Sunrise, Florida

Im in the same boat. I went to planet fitness 5 years ago was a member till 2010 they changed name to youfit....I went and cancelled and NOW 3 YEARS later I find out hby MISTAKE that they been charging me for tthe past 3 years 15.90$!!!! Just called them and spoke to the manager and he saidni couls only get a refund if I had proof I sent that letter 3 years ago..so *** pissed and frustrated... I even wonder how the *** Youfit charging me if I never signed a contract with them....Im about to get a lawyer.?

0 1 Reply

1-20 of 125 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Planet Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×