Planet Fitness-way too hard to cancel a membership

Tried to cancel my month-to-month membership today since I have moved and it's no longer convenient to go there.No where on their website does it tell you how to do this.

I called my home club and was told I either had to go there in person(which is 1500 miles away), or I could send a certified letter (and it MUST be certified) stating I wished to cancel, and they would "process my request". Those are the only 2 options. So now I have to go out of my way to go to the post office and PAY to cancel my membership.

Ridiculous.Super easy to join, but they make you jump thru hoops to cancel.

More Review Details

Helpful? 173 Yes 173 389 No 389
Had the same issue 64 Yes 64
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jul 15 #1007916

Brookfield Connecticut, my wife purchased a membership was never able to use the facility because with cancer we had to move from the area to Arkansas tried to cancel the membership. we have written planet fitness three times to cancel our membership and they will not cancel your membership they just keep billing us.

2 0 Reply

May 09 #981837

Should of told them before you moved ***

0 2 Reply

May 30 #989714

Just because your life is that simple doesn't mean everyone else's is. ***!!!! I hate it when jerks get on boards just to be jerks.

Aug 27 #1026005

*Should've (Should have). There's no such thing as "Should of"

Apr 07 #969178 Chicago, Illinois

Subscribed for pf 3 months ago in monroe, Michigan, they introduced a new system and now I gotta go all the way there (I live in Chicago) to get a new card. Plus tonight I went to the pf to find out I owe them for 2 months...my balance never went low on the card I subscribed with...and the staff doesnt even talk nice or apologise....annd to cancel membership its 58 dollars...these guys do a *** job...god will punish them for their poor actions!!!

Fitguru

Mar 17 #959706 Los Angeles, California

That is why I pay little more for LA Fitness. I can freeze / cancel all from their website without any problem.

Dec 29, 2014 #922616

Yes was told the same thing that it depends on the club regional manger. I have had billing problem after billing problem and they still continue to bill me .THIS CLUB SUCKS
THIS IS THE NEW KILLEEN TEXAS CLUB. You would think that is they are so busy loosing a few members should not hurt.

1 1 Reply

Jun 26, 2014 #832349

If you cancel CC and open a new account, won't they contact you or possibly sue for non-paid fees after a certain amount of time?

3 0 Reply
Ms. Kay

Jun 05, 2014 #824248 Brooklyn, New York

TO CANCEL GYM OR ANY KIND OF MEMBERSHIP. IF USING A CREDIT CARD, CALL CC COMPANY AND REQUEST NEW CARD ,WITH A NEW#. IF USING CHECKING ACCOUNT, CLOSE ACCOUNT AND REOPEN NEW ONE. YOUR BANK WILL NOT DISCLOSE YOUR INFO TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

4 5 Reply
peace and love

Jun 10, 2014 #826040

I tried canceling mine but wells fargo tells me if there is another transaction happening after I close my account it will be opened again. then if it is I have to pay the 35.00 fee since there will be no money in the account

0 1 Reply

May 14 #984218

Per your contract (remember the contract YOU signed?), it will be logged as a non-payment of money owed and reported to credit reporting institutions. You signed a contract, both parties need to honor it. Cancellation process and fees are outlined in the contract.

May 30 #989715

Another PF employee trying to get brownie points with the owners of the club!! "Cancellation process and fees are outlined in the contract". Go troll somewhere else!!!

May 31 #990035

Just because you're too lazy and entitled to read the contract doesn't mean it's not in there. Don't ever sign a legal agreement without reading it or at least retaining a copy for your records. I actually just cancelled my membership today because I am going to a better gym, so I can vouch for this. It is in your contract. Try reading it sometime.

0 1
jeff

Apr 02, 2014 #801308 Dallas, Texas

here's a trick to do it easier if you have moved.... first just transfer your membership to a gym close to your area,(you can do it online) when it is transfered, you can go to that gym and cancel your membership there. no letter and no traveling 1500 miles.

fuPL

Mar 29, 2014 #800033

you get what you paid for. PL is shithole, dont waste your time and $ :(

bobcat

Jan 21, 2014 #776375 Nashville, Tennessee

You should be able to cancel in an easier manner. YOU have a membership number . They should provide some kind of online support to cancel it. THe YMCA you can cancel without doing all that ***.

bobcat

Jan 21, 2014 #776373

I was in the same boat. I had to go in person to cancel it. I was not using the gym. They make it hard on you to cancel so they can keep charging your checking account. It rubbed me the wrong way . I will never join a gym again. I will buy my own stuff to work out or take a walk or jog.

Nov 29, 2013 #749845

I have tried to cancel my membership a few times in the past 30 days to give proper notice and not get an additional month taken from my account after my year is up. ( I hear that this does happen) I have been told on 3 different occasions that I just come in before the 7th of December and "it will be ok"
This is totally annoying since they already took my final months fee out, so all I am trying to do is let them know I will not renew for another year. I have been told that if I cancel right at that moment I will incur a $60 cancellation fee. This gym is outrageous!

Never! Never join this gym!

3 0 Reply
ms.Kay

Jun 05, 2014 #824250 Brooklyn, New York

all you have to do is request new cc # or a new debit card #., If you gave the your account number, close account and reopen with new #... Never give your acct# always use debit or Credit card, because you can always request for that cc # to be change.

doh

Dec 15, 2014 #915921

Except that cancelling your credit card in no way changes your contract/membership agreement with the gym. You still have an obligation to either pay as agreed or cancel as required in the agreement. They will eventually turn your delinquent account over to collections I would think. As long as you like defaulting on contracts and hurting your credit, I guess it is ok...

1-20 of 137 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.