Planet Fitness - Won't allow me to join because I only have a debit/credit card not checking account!

I got a letter to come back to Planet Fitness so I went to join with my husband.They denied my membership because I only have a credit card!

My husband and I did away with our bank account months ago due to high fees and hearing this really makes me Irate! So you can't prepay unless they're offering it as a special, you can't use a credit card, and you can't pay in cash month by month. What big corporation doesn't take credit/debit credit cards?

Talk about single-ing people out!Guess I need to find a better gym!

More Review Details

Helpful? 84 Yes 84 95 No 95
Had the same issue 57 Yes 57
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Login
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 21 #1036841

Unfortunately, some people don't have checking accounts because of one bad experience or another, and you are quite fortunate you have never had problems with your checking account or the gym, and I hope you never do, but eventually as corrupt and dishonest as people are in this world, someone will get your information and *** into your accounts unless you have account protection, but it is inevitable that it can happen, but I agree, whether it's cash, debit/checking or credit card it's all the same, one isn't worth more than the other and quite frankly, cash is a guaranteed payment (in spite of it being a debt instrument). Debit cards or credit cards don't guarantee the money is there either, so I guess it just depends on the corporation and their requirements of payment. But just not fair for the few that it causes a problem for...just saying.

Sep 21 #1036835

I had similar problems with bank accounts and identity theft where the bank wouldn't back me. Now all I have is a credit card and would really like to rejoin Planet Fitness again to stay in shape, but I guess I will have to go elsewhere also. What a shame! Maybe I just need to start adding equipment to my home and save on gas clear across town!

Aug 19 #1021506

I don't understand why anyone has any problems with them. I guess everyone has different experiences, but I don't. I gave them my bank info and every month on the 17th there is a $19.99 charge taken out, nothing more, nothing less. I have had zero issues. I do agree that if you're paying for membership, it shouldn't matter if it's cash, credit or debit. I would prefer to pay for it in cash and have it all out of the way instead of worrying if you lose your card or if you have insufficient funds, but almost every if not all chain gym requires a membership paid with a debit card. Like most things you subscribe to. I love the gym. :)

0 6 Reply

Jul 14 #1007554

I went through the same thing ,. Bummer wish they did

Apr 19 #973969 Bellevue, Washington

This is so *** that they don't accept this as a form of payment for the monthly but WILL accept this form for the DUE TODAY amount
Use the same credit card for your due today amount.
First Name
Last Name
Card Type-Select One-American ExpressDiscoverMasterCardVisa Card Number Expiration Date MonthJanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecemberYear20152016201720182019202020212022202320242025202620272028202920302031203220332034 Security Code Billing Postal Code

1 0 Reply
Kay kay

Mar 22 #962025

I just think they want to just get a little extra money on the low...

5 0 Reply

Jan 21 #934421 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

My coworker just told me the planet fitness in Mayfair Philadelphia pa.. they let him pay 200.00 for the entire year all he needed was an id. I hope I can do the same and they don't give me bs.

0 1 Reply

Jan 14 #930905 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I joined online, no problem, they send an email stating they needed a canceled check, when we come in to get our stuff (t shirt, yay), . My wife called and explained it to them and they told her they only reason they really do that is for verification and for I. D. Purposes, Kevin said it was not necessary.

0 2 Reply

Jun 27, 2014 #832787 Gardner, Massachusetts

I have the money to join but do not have a checking account. They should make a photo id that you have to scan to work out and if it pops up that you owe money just not allow you in until you pay and let people pay month to month

11 0 Reply

Jun 17, 2014 #828576

I was rejected as well....guess ill find some where else to go.. their loss

6 0 Reply

Apr 08, 2014 #803246

I just went online to see the information and noticed it said pay with credit card for monthly but anual fee must be paid with checking account so I called for my husband and for myself to join and I told them what I seen online and the guy said uuhum! so I said! so you are telling me that if people do not have a checking account they cant join? He said that is correct! so I just hung up!! that really Sucks! :(

6 0 Reply
tonya g

Apr 06, 2014 #802659 Midland, Texas

this *** really sucks,,i don't want automatic take outs...its not fair at all,,why cant I just pay

5 0 Reply

Jan 08, 2014 #770210

It must depend which one you go to i use my walmart debit card with out any issues.

0 1 Reply

Dec 08, 2013 #754772 Conshohocken, Pennsylvania

They want a checking account because theat makes it harder for you to stop the automatic billing. If you use a credit card, and you want to get out of you membership, you can simply call the credit card bank and report you credit card lost/stolen.

3 1 Reply
Peter C

Sep 05, 2013 #712186 Raymond, New Hampshire

I just received the same treatment trying to join with cash or credit card. Access to a checking account only as payment seems a bit dubious, or maybe corporate does not trust the help.

Peter C.

2 0 Reply

Aug 21, 2013 #704400 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

i don't like banks because they charge for everything!, so i asked if my boyfriend and i could pay cash. the first time i asked , they said it was one hundred and something dollars, i asked again and they told me it was $200 , WTF!! since i don't have a job = to no money, so the plan was to pay for the whole year ($200) and bring in a guest (me) but they said we were going to get the white card with less access and no guest. i was pissed off. if my boyfriend is going to pay that much money, we should be able to bring a guest , i don't care for the massage room or the t-shirt or whatever else they have to offer. all i want for my boyfriend and i is to workout.. planet fitness is the closest gym to my area ( mayfair)

5 2 Reply

Aug 11, 2013 #697885 Staten Island, New York

Yesterday I was at the Planet Fitness fitness center on South Avenue in Staten Island, NY trying to become a member and I was told that there is some absurd policy in place which does not allow me to become a member unless I allow Planet Fitness to withdraw funds from my checking account. I was not, and I am still not, willing to do that. What I was willing to do was to use my credit card as many of my family and friends have been doing for the longest time as members and was told that was “unacceptable” I understand the reason behind this “policy” might be the fact that Planet Fitness must pay the credit card companies a fee if they accept my credit card. I feel that this is the price of doing business and needs to be absorbed by Planet Fitness. I gave Planet Fitness another option, a simple one, I told them I would pay “Cash”. Apparently American dollars have no value to them either. I am now forced to contact you at corporate headquarters to try to understand why I was treated this way and if this is a corporate policy or the policy of this single outlet. I am very disappointed that I was not able to become a member and hope that this situation can be resolved quickly. I truly hope I am not forced to chose another fitness center to give my business to!

17 4 Reply
D. VIous

Apr 16, 2013 #638393

Cancelled your bank account due to the high fees? WTF, do you hide your money under the mattress or in the closet? Ever hear of credit card interest rates?

2 7 Reply

Jan 17 #932601 Cliffside Park, New Jersey

bank accounts are scams.. do your research. IPNS, ROTHSCHILD ETC.. search and learn.

2 4 Reply

Feb 07, 2012 #424290

sometimes we dont take pre-paid credit cards... otherwise you just got a bad planet fitness employee. as for the getting billed afetr you cancel, if you cancel on or before the 10th you wont be billed because we send all of our billing information in to corporate on the 11th so after that there is nothing we can do and that information is stated on the front of your membership agreement.

0 5 Reply

1-20 of 26 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.