20.5K views

I recently cancelled my membership, 6 days after I was charged the annual fee. I requested a refund of the annual fee and all they said was it was in the contract - and I would be charged regardless if I cancelled or not.

I asked to talk with the manager and the desk clerk just blew me off and said read the contract. Talk about lousy customer service... they just want their money and could care less about goodwill or leaving a good impression.

I will any and everyone to stay away from this place... what a total rip off.

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Comments

Yes I do have something to say. Planet Fitness 22th St Dallas,TX ROCKS EVERYDAY!No rip off no hidden fee.

I paid $10 day I started Black Card w an unlimited trainer who absolutely cares about my goals & the journey to my new body. I agreed in contract to $39.99 1 time fee that was taken out at the first of the 2nd month..in contract. On the 17th each mo my acct show oayment made to Plabet Fitness $21. Also in my contract.

BTW tootsie roll bashers, them are for whatever reason especially when blood sugar levels drop on anyone working out to their fullest extent. Thanks my Planet Fitness is really great.

unfortunate for the little man but great for the owners

Any gym at 10 bucks a month is probably not a rip-off just for collecting a contractually binding fee.

SNEAKY, SNEAKY, SNEAKY. Timing of the membership fee is VERY SUSPICIOUS AND SNEAKY.

joined in March 2017, 1st annual membership fee on 5/1/17. rarely used the membership, thought twice about canceling. Called club twice and both times was told required to pay through 4/17/18 monthly payment, which gets me access through 5/16/18.

BOTH TIMES RECOMMENDED canceling by 5/10/18 in order to avoid auto monthly fee on 5/17/18 happening. NEVER ONCE MENTIONING 2nd "non-refundable" $39 annual fee that would hit automatically on 5/1/18...

I was supposed to be charged an annual fee of 39.00 and a monthly free of 10.00. I was charged 20.00 and 49.00 instead.

When I went in and spoke to Sara she was absolutely no help.

When I asked her about the charges I was told it was a 10.00 late fee because they could not find my account. It is amazing they found it to make the charges including a late fee.

I agree, I'm so pissed off that they charge an "annual fee" when you initially sign up. I was mislead into thinking that when my contract would renew I would be charged for the annual fee.

How can you charge an annual fee if you haven't been there a year? I think a civil lawsuit is in order. They said the same thing "it's in the contract." Well, when someone is explaining the contract as your are signing you trust that they are giving you accurate information about the contract. Assistant manager responded with "I always read my contract" when I called to complain.

Seriously!

I got the membership with $1 down for membership fees. Isn't the annual fee part of the initial membership fees?

to R. Esquivel #1452579

No. The annual fee is for everyone to pay one time a year and that fee goes to making sure the gym is clean. Thats why they always have a clean gym.

to Richy rich #1492811

You have to pay for both monthly membership fee and also annual fee. I was about to sign up for a family member, the form stated including monthly membership fee + annual fee. You are wrong.

This all seems very funny to me, I actually took the time to read the contract in full before agreeing to sign up, and it CLEARLY STATES there is a annual fee.... I was well aware that it was around 40.00 dollars, and I was surprised to find out, after I did some research.....(before I signed the contract)...that compared to most places, this is a great deal....

I'm very pleased with my membership...

THESE ARE FINE EXAMPLES OF FAILING TO BE RESPONSIBLE AND READ THE CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN.

to Erin Honeycutt #1426706

i had youfit.and my annual was only 32 so it isnt that great

to Erin Honeycutt #1440470

I agree.. read your contrct.

Thats why is there. People that complain is because they just sign with out reading their contract.

You have choices in life. Follow them.

to Erin Honeycutt #1444301

I have to agree with Erin, I actually can’t think of one gym in existence today, that doesn’t charge an Annual Enhancement Fee. I actually worked in gym membership customer service for a short time.

It was 8-9 hours a day of being cussed at because people do not read what they’re signing. I’ve been guilty of it, too. That job, although I hated it, taught me a lot. My sister and mom, who now live in a different state, just joined a gym.

I actually sent them a heads up message, just in case they were unaware.

That gym membership is a binding contract. You’re agreeing to all terms, including that annual fee.

to Observer #1456666

“Annual Enhacement Fee”

to Erin Honeycutt #1456661

Sales pitch needs to be consistent with K terms.

High Point, North Carolina, United States #969215

Same thing here in High Point NC. The annual fee is due 1 month before you can cancel your membership without paying a fee.

Of course the cancellation fee is higher than the annual fee. They conveniently fail to mention this when you sign up.

Always read the fine print before signing anything. Better yet, ask them to read it to you.

The annual fee was not only explained to me clearly and carefully when I signed up, they even posted a sign out front to let us know it was coming due on October 1st. No surprises if you can read and your IQ is higher than your backwards facing hat size.

Great place to work out, friendly staff, and the new location they just moved to here in High Point, NC is great!

Some people are such whiners they could find a bag of money and complain that the bills weren't all arranged face up.

My only complaint with Planet Fitness is the idiots who still refuse to wipe down their machines, like they don't sweat or anything. That's a customer issue, not an employee one, and the employees do gently remind people when they see it.

to Getting fit fast #990273

So how do you like working for them?

Jackson, Michigan, United States #703592

I had the regular membership then went up to the black card, I did my time for my year contract, i tried to go back to the regular card and now they want to charge me 29 dollars to down grade! Bull *** tonk,I was going to keep my business there but now i am reconsidering! because i paid 20 a month for 2 years and hardly ever tanned or used the other services and now i get punished, and the employees were rude, as if they did not care if they kept my business

To PF Employee 6/10/2011.

We as customer are not concerned with your meager salary! That's your problem.

Are you suggesting that the corporation makes very little money?

That's who we have the gripe with... the company not you as an employee!

It may be stated clearly in the contact HOWEVER...it would be a much better business practice if the customer service rep STATED it CLEARLY upon a member signing up! Like many people I have zero recollection of anyone stating there would be a yearly fee of $30.

Bad business practice!!!