Planet Fitness Billing Fraud and Unethical Business Practices

1116 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

My Purpose:

I am starting the process to start a class action lawsuit against Planet Fitness for unethical business practices and billing fraud.

My Story:

I signed up for a one month trial membership, which the salesman was explicit in telling me that there was no long-term obligation beyond one month back in September 2006 at Planet Fitness High Point, NC. Unfortunately for me, I never used the one month trial and ended up moving from North Carolina to Pennsylvania a few months later. I came to find out that they had actually signed me up for a month to month membership with no definitive termination date, despite what I was told by the staff member. The bank account that they had "on file" was technically still open but was not my primary account (I actually was using it as a "savings" account), but when I went to close the account, I discovered a discrepency of $520. Planet Fitness had charged me $10 a month for 52 months and I had never even set foot in the gym and was not even in the same state!

My Goal:

I know that I am not the only person to experience deception upon signing up for a contract, nor am I the only one to have significant disputes with their billing practices. If you would like to join me in fighting back, please notify me by email at aboydinfo@gmail.com

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 27 Yes 27 41 No 41
Had the same issue 31 Yes 31
1116 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

Oct 10, 2016 #1224701 Brewster, New York, United States

I hasd the same problem. They are total scammers! The billboard said $1 to join, go to the website, it's actually $30! $10 per month, with a yearly fee in October they don't tell you about. I wasn't working, couldn't pay the credit card I originally signed up with, so the fees kept coming. Cost more to cancel than pay the overage fees and back membership dues. COULDN'T CANCEL UNTIL THOSE WERE PAID FIRST! WHAT A SCAM!!!!

Wow1019

Feb 06 #1282294

They have men (not transgender), heterosexuals in the women's locker rooms. BEWARE! In my case it was a purported maintenance man. When I complained I was attacked by the front desk person, a woman who began yelling at the top of her voice. Also may I add the cleaning lady opened the door on me as I was putting on my clothes. The branch I am talking about is in Virginia on Richmond Highway in Arlington. The guy that owns the franchises hung the phone up on me as I tried to tell him what happened. Luckily for me I taped the call. These people really lack any decency and customer service skills.

Jan 31, 2015 #939235 Lenexa, Kansas, United States

I have been a member for 3 years and needed to cancel my membership due to unemployment . *****I was told I had to pay a cancellation fee? Not per the contract If you've been a member for 1 year the cancelation fee is waived.

Bob

Oct 10, 2014 #882838 Malvern, Pennsylvania, United States

I went in yesterday to a planet fitness. They would only accept access to my checking account for payment. I said what about cash or me putting them on auto pay from my checking account. They said no, the only way I could sign up for the service was to give them the keys to my checking account.
It seems to me their real interest is to trade their service for access to my checking account as they were offered several forms of payment of which they were interested in none. It felt really shady to me. I would like to know the percentage of their income that people would dispute as ill-gotten gains.

wmb1961

Sep 02, 2014 #864623 Toms River, New Jersey, United States

They told me I could not cancel the monthly memership billing until I paid the outstanding balance. In other word if I couldn't come up with what was owed they had the right to continue to charge me in the future forever even though i asked to be canceled and no longer wish the service.

Chels

Jun 23, 2014 #830903

The monthly membership is a month to month membership. There is no one month membership. It explains on the paper they give you when you sign up. You have to terminate your membership before the 15th of the month. Maybe you should pay attention more

2 6 Reply
Curious

Apr 27, 2014 #809694

Is it possible to go to the police for theft?

2 0 Reply
platnes fitness scam

Jul 21, 2013 #684646 New York City, New York, United States

planet fitness is a scam. my complain is similar to their norm and is also posted on the BBB site.

i canceled my membership multiple times, via certified mail (which in this day and age is a total BS way to cancel a gym membership) and in person, twice. Still received bills over and over.

do not join planet fitness.

3 0 Reply
Careful on the cancelled accou

Dec 05, 2012 #578488

I have had similar issues in Daytona Beach FL. Had contacted them and had coincidentally changed my card number during the same month. Beyond a text saying I was late on payment I had no notice of the bills. After receiving one of the text messages I decided I should stop in so they could stop the texts. Only for them to ask me to pay off my balance of over 100 dollars.

danandsheilab@juno.com

Aug 25, 2012 #533857

I am so upset with Planet Fitness in Rio Rancho New Mexico. They have been charging me twenty dollars per month for the past three months for late fees, stating that the bank rejected payment, showing insufficient funds. We went to the bank today and they have no such record. There was never insufficient funds in our account. So Planet Fitness just got sixty dollars from me just like that. I will be contacting the bbb and the local television station unless I get my money back.

2 0 Reply
youCANgetaREFUND

Jun 14, 2013 #664684

I just read your post about being charged for insufficient funds. I had the exact same problem, and I'm getting refunded.

First, make sure you document everything in case they try to tell you something illegal which they did to me.

To get refunded, I went to their website and filled out the members survey. I was professional and polite, but basically told them I was planning on suing if I did not hear back from them. Not 20 minutes later, I recieved an email from Human Resources letting me know they told the actual OWNERS (not manager) about the problem. After about half an hour, the manager (who probably had just gotten a lovely call from corporate) called me letting me know they were refunding me.

It looks like this happened to you a while ago, but I spoke up and got a refund. Everyone else who this has happened to should too!

hahaa

Jun 20, 2012 #499462

Read your memberships agreements your *** morons. The contacts have not changed in 10 years and everything is stated in it. You also signed it. sorry to tell you but youre ***!

1 10 Reply

Jul 21, 2013 #684649 New York City, New York, United States

sounds like you work for planet fitness and are happy to screw over your customers. i read the agreement and canceled via certified mail - still got bills. went in person to cancel - still got bills. my location closed - went to another to cancel - still got bills.

13 0 Reply
Fed up with planet fitness shy

Jun 17, 2012 #497333

I cancelled my membership at the beginning of the month and was still charged later on. I have both my membership contract and my cancellation contract plus the receipt and the the name of the associate that did it. When I called to asked them why they still have my name on file if I cancelled she said her manager would return it to me by the 23rd. Why the *** should I wait that long, I paid the buyout fee and you are still charging me. Will be there on Monday morning to get my money back and if I don't get it, I'll be sure to either join your suit or call my lawyer aunt and make my own.

Tabitha mannino

Jun 14, 2012 #495889

I signed up for a planet fitness membership. It was onlu $10 per month. After a few months I was unable to attend because I was traveling for work. I called to cancel and they said I can't cancel by phone, I sent a letter and the bills kept comming, I wrote a note on the bill and returned it in the return address. It was ignored. I sent an email and was told I can't cancel that way either. To date, I keep getting billed and they refuse to cancel my account. The only reason they don't have access to my bank account is because I changed my account information and they no longer have access. If you collect enough information for a class action suit, please include me.

3 0 Reply
Tabitha mannino

Jun 14, 2012 #495888

pat

Mar 16, 2012 #450113

No, if you read the contract "after 12 months, your membership will expire and no payments will be ........
They continue to bill after the 12 month membership and DO NOT NOTIFY YOU AS SUCH.

1-20 of 35 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.