3.2K views

I think the elephant in the room is that no one wants to admit they have credit problems.I was a member of planet fitness for almost 2 years, joined with a credit card for the upfront fee but had to give my checking account for the monthly fee and annual fee once a year.

I loved the manager there and it really is convenient for me right at the mall with the bus line right there (dont have a car). But I got in trouble with so many credit cards and it just got too much so I got a couple judgments on me, and if you have money in the bank account they can get a levy and freeze all your money! So I didnt want planet fitness coming in to get their monthly due and my account frozen and then I get charged a rediculous insufficient funds penalty and all that. So I just had to quit my membership because they wont take a debit card or cash.

I think they are losing a lot of customers by this absurd policy. The reason they do this is because debit cards if there is not money in your account, its just rejected and you pay no fee. With a checking account if they try to get money and theirs not enough in the bank they know they will get their money because they can keep coming back over and over again till they get their money.

So basically I have to try to find another gym which wont be as convenient or have all the equipment Planet Fitness did.I really liked that gym, they kept it pretty clean and management was nice and the help (mostly) had very pleasant attitudes so its too bad for them and me I guess!

This reviewer shared experience about problems with payment and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). This person is overall dissatisfied with Planet Fitness. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Planet Fitness.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Fitness Centers category for more informed decision or compare Planet Fitness to other companies on our site.

Comments

I HATE this policy!I want to get a membership here but I do not want to open a bank account.

I'm even willing to pay for a full year cash, and still get told no!It's horrible!!!

I wish they would have not made it as difficult to get a membership everyone does not have a checking account so I defitnetly will be looking for a new gym. They are going to give so many different gyms their clientele not a smart choice.

Yeah it's crazy now and days with identity theft on the rise.I feel uncomfortable giving my bank info the them.

They really need to change their policy on this.They will have hard time getting new customers..

#1421995

How about this - I have perfect credit. I also have significant balances on my bank accounts...thus I declined the "Checking Account Only" option.

I wanted to buy memberships (paying upfront) for my family and 4 employees.

Sill policy.

#1420680

MY checking acct was hacked by a tanning salon with similar requirements.I told planet fitness I was not comfortable with giving them access to my banking acct I said I would pay a year in advance for black card membership.

They said NO! Would not accept my payment. Would not take my credit card. Visa or Discover.

Would not take cash or check. That’s crazy. I don’t have credit issues but my bank acct is MY bank account. I don’t have to give them access.

They lost a good potential member!There are other choices.

#1420100

My issue is they always take it out without notice and I get overdrawn. I have a very limited income and this is truly disturbing. I may end up having to cancel my membership.

I don't want them to have my checking account information, and will not join under this policy.

I get why THEY want to setup auto pay out of your checking account, but there are dozens of reasons why I as the customer don't want to...and they have nothing to do with credit problems.

1) I don't want a company to be able to freely pull money from my account without seeing a statement first.(PF charged me for the wrong membership type twice in the 13 months I was a member.

So I then had to hassle with them to get MY money back. Had it been a statement, I would asked them to correct the statement before I paid).

2) Cancelling is a PITA. And you can't "stop" it because they keep hitting your account.

With a statement, you have control. I moved and there wasn't a PF near me. My contract was up so there shouldn't have been a hassle to cancel. They required me to come into the location where I opened the account to cancel.

Really? Isn't this a national franchise?!? Returning to the original location was not feasible. I had moved once since I signed up and changed my "home gym"...so even if I tried to cancel before I moved, I wasn't at the "gym where I signed up".

What a hassle. Eventually, after several long phone calls a manager took care of it. I was going to just close my bank account - but that would have been a huge issue.

3) Why can't I just pay at the location if I want to? It would be easy enough to put a hold on my account if I don't pay.

If you aren't paid for the month, you don't get in. Simple.

4) Some people say "just get a free checking account for your pf account". What a hassle! Plus, many checking accounts aren't "free" unless you have direct deposit, minimum balance or some level of activity.

That seems like a huge hassle to simply join PF vs.one of the dozen other choices.

to Jason #1420696

I TRIed paying a year in advance.They would not accept my payment.

Visa, discover, cash, check etc...craziest thing I’ve ever encountered.

Simply unacceptable.I WILL NOT hand over my checking acct info.

I don't have credit problems. I just don't give sensitive information unless it's absolutely necessary. A gym membership is not absolutely necessary for me.

In this day and age of identity theft, I am not handing over my banking information to an organisation that will hire anyone with abs.