7.6K views

I think the elephant in the room is that no one wants to admit they have credit problems. I was a member of planet fitness for almost 2 years, joined with a credit card for the upfront fee but had to give my checking account for the monthly fee and annual fee once a year.

I loved the manager there and it really is convenient for me right at the mall with the bus line right there (dont have a car). But I got in trouble with so many credit cards and it just got too much so I got a couple judgments on me, and if you have money in the bank account they can get a levy and freeze all your money! So I didnt want planet fitness coming in to get their monthly due and my account frozen and then I get charged a rediculous insufficient funds penalty and all that. So I just had to quit my membership because they wont take a debit card or cash.

I think they are losing a lot of customers by this absurd policy. The reason they do this is because debit cards if there is not money in your account, its just rejected and you pay no fee. With a checking account if they try to get money and theirs not enough in the bank they know they will get their money because they can keep coming back over and over again till they get their money.

So basically I have to try to find another gym which wont be as convenient or have all the equipment Planet Fitness did. I really liked that gym, they kept it pretty clean and management was nice and the help (mostly) had very pleasant attitudes so its too bad for them and me I guess!

This reviewer shared experience about problems with payment and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). This person is overall dissatisfied with Planet Fitness. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Planet Fitness.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Fitness Centers category for more informed decision or compare Planet Fitness to other companies on our site.

Comments

I tried paying up front total but won't let me. What is the difference?

They get full pay for a year up front.

I don't want to give them my acct. Information.

I will not join planet fitness because of that policy. I just want to use credit card and not provide checking account information!

their main target customer is a customer that will never go, and for them to deal with the credit card dispute is way harder than the pulling money from your bank account.the hassle to cancel a monthly charge of 10 bucks is way bigger than the charge itself...I just walk out from Planet Fitness just for that only reason.

I just refused to join when I was told I could not pay with credit card. Why in earth would someone trust a gym with their personal checking info?

That's asking for trouble. I joined a more expensive gym less than a mile away and had no problem paying by credit card.

I agree with about everyone here, walked in, walked out. I've always tried to pay year in advance with whichever gym i have after charging my debit card wrong month after month with another gym.Took the tour, ready to sign up, asked if they gave discount for paying year in advance, told can't do that.

Ok I thought, no, discount, no problem, I'll just pay full price. NOT An OPTION, wth?i HATE giving my debit card out because it takes forever to get things settled when things go wrong. Not like a credit card that you can fight and make right fairly easily.WARNING, WARNING, WARNING. Lol.

They actually would only take my bank info. Crazy. So they want to put my banking acct routing and acct number on a piece of paper, then I'm sure keep in a file.

Not sure about PF, but trainers every gym I've been at had high turnover so what happens when one of them gets my info and decides to go shopping. UNBELIEVABLE, bye Felicia

Walked in, walked out. This policy is crazy. I had two hundred in cash they wouldn't take instead.

I HATE this policy! I want to get a membership here but I do not want to open a bank account.

I'm even willing to pay for a full year cash, and still get told no! It's horrible!!!

I wish they would have not made it as difficult to get a membership everyone does not have a checking account so I defitnetly will be looking for a new gym. They are going to give so many different gyms their clientele not a smart choice.

Yeah it's crazy now and days with identity theft on the rise. I feel uncomfortable giving my bank info the them.

They really need to change their policy on this. They will have hard time getting new customers..

#1421995

How about this - I have perfect credit. I also have significant balances on my bank accounts...thus I declined the "Checking Account Only" option.

I wanted to buy memberships (paying upfront) for my family and 4 employees.

Sill policy.

#1420680

MY checking acct was hacked by a tanning salon with similar requirements. I told planet fitness I was not comfortable with giving them access to my banking acct I said I would pay a year in advance for black card membership.

They said NO! Would not accept my payment. Would not take my credit card. Visa or Discover.

Would not take cash or check. That’s crazy. I don’t have credit issues but my bank acct is MY bank account. I don’t have to give them access.

They lost a good potential member! There are other choices.

#1420100

My issue is they always take it out without notice and I get overdrawn. I have a very limited income and this is truly disturbing. I may end up having to cancel my membership.

I don't want them to have my checking account information, and will not join under this policy.

I get why THEY want to setup auto pay out of your checking account, but there are dozens of reasons why I as the customer don't want to...and they have nothing to do with credit problems.

1) I don't want a company to be able to freely pull money from my account without seeing a statement first. (PF charged me for the wrong membership type twice in the 13 months I was a member.

So I then had to hassle with them to get MY money back. Had it been a statement, I would asked them to correct the statement before I paid).

2) Cancelling is a PITA. And you can't "stop" it because they keep hitting your account.

With a statement, you have control. I moved and there wasn't a PF near me. My contract was up so there shouldn't have been a hassle to cancel. They required me to come into the location where I opened the account to cancel.

Really? Isn't this a national franchise?!? Returning to the original location was not feasible. I had moved once since I signed up and changed my "home gym"...so even if I tried to cancel before I moved, I wasn't at the "gym where I signed up".

What a hassle. Eventually, after several long phone calls a manager took care of it. I was going to just close my bank account - but that would have been a huge issue.

3) Why can't I just pay at the location if I want to? It would be easy enough to put a hold on my account if I don't pay.

If you aren't paid for the month, you don't get in. Simple.

4) Some people say "just get a free checking account for your pf account". What a hassle! Plus, many checking accounts aren't "free" unless you have direct deposit, minimum balance or some level of activity.

That seems like a huge hassle to simply join PF vs. one of the dozen other choices.

to Jason #1420696

I TRIed paying a year in advance. They would not accept my payment.

Visa, discover, cash, check etc...craziest thing I’ve ever encountered.

Simply unacceptable. I WILL NOT hand over my checking acct info.

I don't have credit problems. I just don't give sensitive information unless it's absolutely necessary. A gym membership is not absolutely necessary for me.

In this day and age of identity theft, I am not handing over my banking information to an organisation that will hire anyone with abs.

when paying via checking account, they can only try 1 more time to withdraw the dues, with late fee. (usually the Wednesday after the failed collection) that's it.

really and honestly. after that they, by law, are not allowed another attempt. your membership payments go into a problem status mode. once there is a 'problem' they will not attempt to charge your checking again without your permission.

however, until you cancel, tho your bank cannot be charged, you WILL continue to accrue dues and late fees from pf for up to 6 months.

please understand, that's why checking accounts are a better method and safer, too. debit/credit cards expire and are hacked all too often. tho pf charges a $10 late fee, bank overdraft fees typically start at $35 per attempt.

pf does not get this or ANY money

seriously, pf isn't interested in overdrafting you on a $10 or $19.99 monthly membership, that's not unscrupulous. For any business, it's just fact, or the bottom line.

AND pf is not responsible for bank overdraft fees. unless you have overdraft protection, PF will never be paid until you pay at the club.

when your membership is in a 'problem' status, they can't do anything! they can't even make another attempt for NEW dues the next month, or the next.

imagine the amount of bank fees you would be charged if they could continue to bill! Gosh, I'd be broke in 2 weeks ams unable to recover for months AND that's! if I'm lucky . Suggestion 1.

many pf's have a Paid in Full option. ask them about it. Suggestion 2 (my preference) open up a free checking account at your bank or preferably another bank where only certain bills are paid from. that's exactly what i did and it works great for me .

i use 2 different banks so there is absolutely no chance of a cross connection. i keep enuf in my BILLS account to cover all of my auto drafts pf bill $19.99, life insurance $68.67, and cable bill $56.95. should there be any hacking, they can't in no way get at my major account. perhaps you think is a bit of a hassle, yes at first, but live in a small town and i have peace.

i got used to my routine and i no longer overdraft. PLEASE, pf is a great gym environment, i adore my pf even tho it's my only gym choice in my town. having a second paying account is spot ON awesome! i hope that you never stop your fitness lifestyle and journey to your goal(s), whatever they may be.

please understand, in order to be profitable and continue to grow, pay it's bills and the staff, a company needs to look after how they could best get paid by the majority of their members on a massive scale. The more monthly dues bounce, the less they'll be able to improve and share that improvement with you. plus each PF still has to pay royalties to corporate PF even tho you never paid them. that can be a huge loss.

imagine. i also truly do understand your concern. i really do. that's why i offer my suggestions, a way to make it work without feeling vulnerable.

a business must look after itself and delinquent accounts make them tighten the payment restrictions. a business must be able to maximise its profit or the doors will close. a business, they exist and subsist on the majority.

special acceptions eventually become not only intolerable but difficult to track, and more expensive than what YOU personally owe. i hope this helps.

to Anonymous #1420698

TRIed paying a year in advance.They would not accept my payment.

Visa, discover, cash, check etc...craziest thing I’ve ever encountered.

Simply unacceptable.I WILL NOT hand over my checking acct info.