Planet Fitness-way too hard to cancel a membership

Tried to cancel my month-to-month membership today since I have moved and it's no longer convenient to go there.No where on their website does it tell you how to do this.

I called my home club and was told I either had to go there in person(which is 1500 miles away), or I could send a certified letter (and it MUST be certified) stating I wished to cancel, and they would "process my request". Those are the only 2 options. So now I have to go out of my way to go to the post office and PAY to cancel my membership.

Ridiculous.Super easy to join, but they make you jump thru hoops to cancel.

More Review Details

Helpful? 174 Yes 174 389 No 389
Had the same issue 64 Yes 64
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Mar 02 #1121065

All that work of getting off the couch and going to the post office to cancel your gym membership is like "jumping thru hoops"?! lol...

2 0 Reply

Feb 20 #1115155

I feel you, same here!!! Almost took an act of Congress and of course they got two (2) more billing cycles out of me in the process. Crooks!!!

0 1 Reply

May 26 #1164766

IT IS FAR TO DIFFICULT to CANCEL. They are truly CROOKS and the know when when you sign that little pad you don't know that you are signing for a year. I asked but I was told it was month to month. They are Big Time Crooks.

Nov 28, 2015 #1070703

Other gyms require the same process of sending a certified letter to cancel. But I don't understand why you didn't cancel before you left. It was a pretty big distance so you knew you were not going to go there anymore. I'm sure you had to cancel other memberships before you left town. It makes sense they need you in person or a certified letter, what if someone was pissed at you and decided to cancel it to *** you off? Or something similar to that happened, you would be pissed it was so easy for them to do that.

4 0 Reply

Nov 20, 2015 #1067043

call your bank and put a stop on the payments from this company. That is the only way to guarantee it stops.

2 3 Reply

Mar 02 #1121061

Thats a good way to have them start racking up a bill for collections, check your credit rating...

Jul 15, 2015 #1007916

Brookfield Connecticut, my wife purchased a membership was never able to use the facility because with cancer we had to move from the area to Arkansas tried to cancel the membership. we have written planet fitness three times to cancel our membership and they will not cancel your membership they just keep billing us.

5 1 Reply

May 09, 2015 #981837

Should of told them before you moved ***

3 6 Reply

May 30, 2015 #989714

Just because your life is that simple doesn't mean everyone else's is. ***!!!! I hate it when jerks get on boards just to be jerks.

5 1 Reply

Aug 27, 2015 #1026005

*Should've (Should have). There's no such thing as "Should of"

1 2 Reply

Apr 07, 2015 #969178 Chicago, Illinois

Subscribed for pf 3 months ago in monroe, Michigan, they introduced a new system and now I gotta go all the way there (I live in Chicago) to get a new card. Plus tonight I went to the pf to find out I owe them for 2 months...my balance never went low on the card I subscribed with...and the staff doesnt even talk nice or apologise....annd to cancel membership its 58 dollars...these guys do a *** job...god will punish them for their poor actions!!!

1 1 Reply
Fitguru

Mar 17, 2015 #959706 Los Angeles, California

That is why I pay little more for LA Fitness. I can freeze / cancel all from their website without any problem.

2 0 Reply

Dec 29, 2014 #922616

Yes was told the same thing that it depends on the club regional manger. I have had billing problem after billing problem and they still continue to bill me .THIS CLUB SUCKS
THIS IS THE NEW KILLEEN TEXAS CLUB. You would think that is they are so busy loosing a few members should not hurt.

2 1 Reply

Jun 26, 2014 #832349

If you cancel CC and open a new account, won't they contact you or possibly sue for non-paid fees after a certain amount of time?

6 0 Reply
Ms. Kay

Jun 05, 2014 #824248 Brooklyn, New York

TO CANCEL GYM OR ANY KIND OF MEMBERSHIP. IF USING A CREDIT CARD, CALL CC COMPANY AND REQUEST NEW CARD ,WITH A NEW#. IF USING CHECKING ACCOUNT, CLOSE ACCOUNT AND REOPEN NEW ONE. YOUR BANK WILL NOT DISCLOSE YOUR INFO TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

5 7 Reply
peace and love

Jun 10, 2014 #826040

I tried canceling mine but wells fargo tells me if there is another transaction happening after I close my account it will be opened again. then if it is I have to pay the 35.00 fee since there will be no money in the account

1 1 Reply

May 14, 2015 #984218

Per your contract (remember the contract YOU signed?), it will be logged as a non-payment of money owed and reported to credit reporting institutions. You signed a contract, both parties need to honor it. Cancellation process and fees are outlined in the contract.

3 0 Reply

May 30, 2015 #989715

Another PF employee trying to get brownie points with the owners of the club!! "Cancellation process and fees are outlined in the contract". Go troll somewhere else!!!

May 31, 2015 #990035

Just because you're too lazy and entitled to read the contract doesn't mean it's not in there. Don't ever sign a legal agreement without reading it or at least retaining a copy for your records. I actually just cancelled my membership today because I am going to a better gym, so I can vouch for this. It is in your contract. Try reading it sometime.

2 4
jeff

Apr 02, 2014 #801308 Dallas, Texas

here's a trick to do it easier if you have moved.... first just transfer your membership to a gym close to your area,(you can do it online) when it is transfered, you can go to that gym and cancel your membership there. no letter and no traveling 1500 miles.

6 0 Reply

1-20 of 143 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.