Planet Fitness - Restrictions on Lifting and workouts

Planet Fitness is a "Judgment Free Zone" and certain lifting exercises is not allowed in their facilities, i.e deadlifts, overhead presses, clean and jerks.Some facilities do not even allow supersets.

They even went as far as limiting the amount of weight you can use to workout, i.e up to 75 lbs dumbells at my facility. Their reason "Excessive Noises" you make, may be offensive to other members. What a crock! I told them that "obese women in yoga pants offend me, do you have a restriction on obese women wearing yoga pants?" Of course they don't.

Being offended is something that is totally subjective and unfair.

I refuse to workout in a facility that puts limits on my workouts and dictates to me what I can and can not do.Maybe Planet Fitness should change their name to Communist Fitness.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Gym Policy
Review category
Fitness Centers
review #584454 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Planet Fitness? Submit review ›
Helpful? 11 Yes 11 9 No 9
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 15 #1095220

Yes, the no judgment zone. They told me I had to stop my set when there little traffic light turned red, then canceled my membership when I refused. If you like Simon Says join Planet Fitness, if you want to work out go somewhere else. I think they are the total judgement zone.

3 1 Reply

Jan 14 #1094312

The complainer is exactly the type of Neanderthal the business does NOT want on their premises, and I can't say I blame them.. No one wants to see, smell, or hear these juiced up proles fueled by rage.

8 2 Reply

Nov 21, 2015 #1067457

Anybody that works out at this gym is either a woman or a *** hands down.

1 4 Reply

Apr 25, 2015 #976515

Then don't go there. Sounds like u are the exact type of people they made this type of business for. There are plenty of other workout facilities that you would fit in just perfectly.

6 2 Reply

Apr 06, 2015 #968464 Crown Point, Indiana

Don't you get it? PF is not for people like you. It's for beginners. There are LOTS of "real" gyms out there. Go join one and quit your ***'.

4 2 Reply

Mar 30, 2015 #965572

I've talked to several gym owners and managers over the years and they hate weight lifters. If for no other reason those 8' X 8' areas used for cleans & dead can be used to squeeze in more machines and hopefully attract more members. They say women love machines. As do the rookies.
And yes the grunting and dropping weights does not help. But weight lifting exercises and movements are legit exercises. Cleans especially are becoming a lost art in the US simply because you can't do them in most gyms now a days. Cleans are also an excellent all around exercise.
What most gyms need to do is designate an area of the gym for those exercises. The problem is you do need extra padding and theoretically there should be an 8' x 8' plywood platform. You need a solid flat surface when doing cleans, jerks, dead lifts and squats.
Most gym members, management and staff are metrosexuals more worried about looking like the cover of the latest fashion magazine. They also seem to like an office or factory environment so working out in a corporate looking facility makes the repetition of machine use natural to many. Others like the bells and whistles on things like the treadmills and bikes although how accurate those blood pressure or calorie burning electronics remains to be seen.
Actual free weight lifting has become extinct in the world of corporate gyms.

2 1 Reply
joe moss

Feb 23, 2015 #949604

obviously planet fitness IS a judgement zone!!
hey planet fitness…with your current communist set of rules set in place, you are going
to be out of business soon!
why don't you ban barbell bench presses next? better yet just eliminate all free weight
plates & dumbbells altogether, drop the planet fitness sign, and call your foolish business

4 4 Reply

Jan 27, 2015 #937213

augh.....fat chicks in sausage suits........i'm in heaven. Herp....there's no restrictions on the 5lb weights your hefting....but your grunting is a little much

2 8 Reply

Jan 20, 2015 #933544

I've never had any restrictions placed on me for weights. And if you don't like somewhere, its as simple as dont go back. You dont need to spray hatred over the internet. And your comment about obese women is insensitive. The fact that they are doing yoga and exercising is determination I bet you wish you had.

16 5 Reply

Jan 20, 2015 #933581 Zanesville, Ohio

I am not spreading hatred just awareness. These stipulations are something that should be made aware prior to signing new members up. The point of the yoga pants is an example of how these rules are unfair and still judging members by instilling them. I've done more in my life than most and have pushed myself to the limits. I know about determination. Your ability to speak your mind to me is because of people like me who have fought for your freedoms.

6 13 Reply

Jan 21, 2015 #934014

"Fought for your freedoms" is the most murican line evarrr

6 6 Reply

Jan 21, 2015 #934349 Zanesville, Ohio

Look who's trolling again. By the way it's AMERICAN. This coming from an Aussie, Your country was founded when England emptied it's prisons.

6 7

Feb 19 #1114751

Ridiculous conversation when it suddenly turns military..Military ppl should understand freedom. This bozo has no clue.

1 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Planet Fitness. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Planet Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about