3.8

I have a neighbor friend that has a membership. He has been going to the Florence, Ky.

store for a long time and extended an invite to me to go for awhile to see if I would be interested in getting my own membership. I agreed. We would walk in to the front counter to check in, his card was scanned and my phone number was recorded. We enjoyed several weeks of workouts usually going three times per week.

What a great place and atmosphere to work out in. Love all the equipment options and the staff are generally very helpful. After our workouts we would go to the front desk, he would request tokens to use the massage chair and I would request one of the hydro massage tables. This was a great way to end our workout.

This was the routine we would do each and every time we came to this store. Actually the only store we use. So I was convinced that this was the way to go and signed up in July 2017 for the $199.00 18 month membership. I paid in full up front so as not to have to worry about monthly billing etc.

Our three visits per week routine continued doing the treadmill then other various exercise machines and always ending with the hydro massage and/or chairs. Last Saturday morning about 7:30 ish we checked in and did our regular routine except when we went to the counter the employee requested to see our membership cards. We thought that to be a bit unusual as this was the first time since we have been coming here that we were asked that. I told the employee that we did check in when we came in but he insisted upon seeing our cards.

We gave him our cards, he scanned them and told us we weren't eligible to use this equipment as we were not "black card members". We were immediately stunned and confused. For almost a year our routine was status quo. When we would visit the front desk all of the employees we interfaced with would simply smile and give my friend his chair tokens and would activate the hydro massage I was going to use.

Not a single employee has ever asked us to see our cards. I told this particular employee all that I'm telling you in this letter so that he would have a better understanding as to why we were standing there in awe trying to figure out what just happened here. I asked this employee if there was a manager on duty that I could further discuss this with. He replied that "HE" was the manager and that there was nothing further to discuss.

I became a bit irate with him at his lack of managerial skills in dealing with this sort of problem. A well trained manager would probably have said something to the effect as, "I'm sorry Mr. Cheatle that you had to find out like this, please use the chair and hydro massage today but remember that from herein you must be a black card member to use these perks". "Further to this I will speak to the entire staff here at PF Florence and remind them of their responsibility to follow company policy and request to see the membership cards of all guests requesting use of the black card only portions of this facility".

But that is not how this went down. The manager was belligerent and completely non professional. We left the facility feeling sort of betrayed. We were angry that we were treated so poorly.

We shared our thoughts on this encounter as we drove home and thought about how this type of manager could even have a glimpse of insight as to maintain and/or increase memberships. Rather his attitude was so negative and abusive that I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the memberships at this facility were dropping. As a good manager you would review the company policies with your staff regularly so as to prevent the aforementioned problem. Think about it, you have countless people coming and going throughout the day and never or rarely being asked to show their card other than at check in.

It takes a major confrontation from one specific manager to see that this is going on. But why isn't management overseeing this oversight? I have been very happy with each and every visit I have made up until last Saturday. Something needs to be fixed here and "quick".

Thank you for allowing me to share my frustrations and I sincerely hope you will take the necessary steps to remedy this problem at this particular franchise. By the way, I requested this manager to give me a business card to which he complied. Plus he had the unmitigated gall to challenge me to go to corporate with this interchange.

His business card says Nate Keiser. Sincerely, Bill Cheatle 2587 Westpoint Court Burlington, Kentucky 41005 513-630-2928 bcheatle50@gmail.com

Review about: Planet Fitness Manager.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

You are right, his response was poor to say the least. My suggestion is to contact corporate thru the website, look for the Contact Us link and tell them your story. They really do listen.