13K views

I signed up with Planet Fitness about 5 months ago. Everything was going great until I had to update my billing information. Before, I just gave them my credit card number and they billed me every month without any problems.

Now they are asking for my checking ACCOUNT number and my BANK ROUTING number. When I asked why I can not simply use my credit card number like I did when I signed up, they stated that it is a new policy that became effective in November. Since when does a gym need your checking account number and routing number to bill you monthly? A monthly magazine subscription does not require a checking or routing number and nor does a monthly membership with Bally Total Fitness. What if that information were to be hacked, millions of members would have their information compromised.

Planet Fitness - you need to change your policy if you want to keep your loyal customers. I will not give you my checking account number or my routing number and I am sure others will refuse as well.

Company wrote 0 public responses to the review from Feb 04, 2013.

Comments

HelpCenter_PissedConsumer

If you have difficulties with canceling Planet Fitness membership, getting a refund or are concerned about unauthorized charges from PlanetFitness.com,or just puzzled why the company needs your bank account details, read what can be done in the article "Top 7 Consumer Questions to Planet Fitness "

Planet Fitness locations are independently owned and operated. Each location chooses the payment method.

Some take all, Credit, Debit, checking, savings. Some more narrow. Many, checking only. The club incurs heavy fees when a scheduled payment isn't made.

Cards are lost, changed or expired constantly and members are poor at updating them. Yes, profit is a motivation. The havs staff to pay, leases to pay, equipment to maintain, etc. A new club can start making a real profit in 5 to 7 years.

Checking only is the best practice to minimize waste and maximize operations including staff training.

So you don't like the payment policy, move on to a place that charges more. 10,000,000+ members are quite happy.

I was thinking about signing up for planet fitness but not now.... I refuse to give them that kind of authority to my bank

I was going to join today online. No way i am giving my bank info.

The banks cannot keep my information secure these days, imagine leaving it in the hands of part time employees, not to mention "Planet Fitness" corporate security?

NO way! Anyone who volunteers this information is screaming *** ME and Take my Money!

God this pissed me off as well.

I just signed up 2 weeks ago..they didn’t ask me for my acct and routing number..not yet anyway..reading all these bad reviews is worrying too me..

I have wanted to sign up for Planet Fitness for several months. However upon going to do so (today), I was asked for my routing number and account number...um....NO!!!

What kind of absurd policy is this?

That's like asking for my social security number at the hairdresser's. Just lost my business, and I was going to get the "black card" membership...

I too was going to join PF, but once I found out they wanted my checking account information, I decided against it. Credit card companies will reimburse you if someone uses your information for fraudulent purposes.

BOA (or most banks), not so much. You're required to report it in a short amount of time (usually two days after you notice the charge) or else you may be liable for a large amount of the charge and then it is still not easy or quick to have the money returned, if at all. You're being very trusting to give up information where someone could wipe out your account. I would advise not to do this.

Perhaps if more people cancelled because of this, PF might change their policies. Type your message here

Was considering signing up but I really don’t like their payment policy. I wanted to pay for the full year up front but they say “No” -It feels a bit vulnerable having my routing number etc.

out there.

I would rather pay all at once. Still on the fence because it’s such a good price.

to Margaret70 #1553952

Me too.. I will not buy black card membership with this rediculousness.

They need to treat us customers like they give at least a single care for our business. The payment method.. Much like the price... Is a negotiation...

One in which they seem to be failing to understand.. Lol.. Change the policy and take my money the right way...

I don't want to have to go home and get my checkbook so I could give my numbers away.. With these post I don't want to now because it sounds unsafe, as well.

About a month ago I was looking to sign up at PF..I had planned on paying for a Black Card Membership 1year up front.Then they asked for my account number and routing number?That was a red flag.. If its no commitment, why do you need all that information.

Plus I was paying for the year up front.. Why would you need any of that?

to NikkiB #1463798

Why is everyone so shocked about this? It is a dumb practice, but planet fitness does this to save money.

They dont need to pay for credit companies.

They dont need to pay banks or deal with bad checks.They dont take cash because they dont want to deal with employees stealing, safes, transferring hard cash to the bank, and it makes the accounting work a *** of a lot easier.It sucks from a trust standpoint but how do you think it's so cheap? It's not great gym but it would be hard to find a gym that charges 10 dollars a month with a yearly 39 dollar charge for the same quality

Tried to pay for a full year wouldn"t let me need a checking account number they said. Will never give it to them. Turned around and walked out.

I guess you people probably have a cow when your employer asks for a cancelled check for direct deposit.

to Anonymous #1441114

A cancelled check isnt the same as giving your entire account number out as well

to Anon #1474427

I mean, yeah it definitely is. Both of those numbers are on your checks.

to Anonymous #1561972

No, it definitely is not the same... A cancelled (ie voided) check is different from an authorization for the purpose of deducting funds from your banking account.

to Smart Cookie #1601858

A voided check has both the account and routing number on it...

to Anonymous #1459368

I just wouldn't get direct deposit if I didn't feel comfortable giving that information out. Also my employer is a lot more trustworthy than a workout chain.

to Anonymous #1587724

Direct Deposit is done via an outside company your employer hires. Your info is still out there.