Resolved
3.8
Cleanliness
Equipment Quality
Poster increased review rating.

Update by user Jun 15

Associate General Manager Mr.Chan sent an email on June 12, apologizing for the incident: "I apologize for your incident at the gym on June 10, 2017.

Our staff was misinformed and thought you had on a jean skirt. I am very happy to hear that you are a long time customer, thank you for your loyalty. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact myself or Ariel." Although this was not exactly what really happened, I am satisfied with their response and prompt action on this.

I went to 2 other Planet Fitness (Gaithersburg and Rockville) and make sure if this same skirt-pant is acceptable, both locations said 'yes'.Informed staffs will be able to avoid this kind of incidents.

Original review posted by user Jun 10

I have been a member of Planet Fitness for years and never had any issue with any staff until today, where I felt I was unfairly treated and discriminated.I started going to Germantown since June 2016, previously at the Rockville location.

I was wearing skirt pant (tennis skirt-pant) to workout on June 10, 2017, when this incident happened, the one I occasionally wear to the gym. This female staff (not sure with her name, see the picture I attached) came to me while I was on a treadmill and said, "you cannot wear this kind of thing". I didn't understand what she meant at first. I asked why, and she kept saying I can't wear "this kind of thing" and showed me the sheet where rules are written.

But I did not break any rules on clothing, nothing revealing, my tennis skirt-pant (see the photo attached) was even more modest than any other short pants, and the length was the longest available in Sports Authority. I, a 58 years old Asian woman, came to the gym with my son almost every day due to my health issue, and have never worn anything revealing, simply due to my culture. But today was too hot (85F) to wear long pant, and so I decided to wear tennis skirt-pant. It is my understanding that Planet Fitness is the place where we can work out without any discrimination and judgment.

I felt that I was targeted by your unprofessional staff, who doesn't know what your rules and regulations are and the way she talked down to me clearly shows that I was discriminated due to my obvious Asian ethnicity. If she had no bad intentions, she could have asked me if I am wearing sportswear, instead of telling me I can't wear "this kind of thing" (in her words). The other female customer at that same front desk even said my skirt-pant is even more modest than her (short pant). Still, your staff didn't back off and refused to admit she made a mistake but kept saying the rules are the rules.

I know the following rules as not to wear, and they don't apply to my skirt-pant at all: Open-toed shoes or sandals Mud-caked, greasy, or soiled shoes or clothing Jeans or pants with prominent grommets Clothing with messaging that a reasonable person may find offensive or otherwise inappropriate I left the gym as I was very upset because I was judged, discriminated, targeted by your unprofessional staff. Before I left, I took a picture of your staff, and she was happy to see me go by posing like this (see her picture). Another picture was the other staff and a customer (he was reasonable, and a female customer, who said my skirt-pant is more modest than her short pant).

I don't feel welcome anymore to go to this gym, and I am very sad and embarrassed this has happened.If Planet Fitness really values its customers and respect its own mottos as non-discrimination and non-judgement towards each other (this includes your staffs), I firmly request you investigate and take action on your staff, who is responsible.

Review about: Planet Fitness Customer Care.

Preferred solution: 1) Take action to your staff, 2) I demand official apologies for the unprofessional treatment.

I liked: Location, Hours.

I didn't like: Rude employees.

Had an Experience with Planet Fitness?

Comments

I'm sure that being Asian had nothing to do with it.Having the skirt on a hangar means nothing.

But if it rides up and shows your cheeks, YES... THAT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE . so please stop making this an ethnic issue where the issue REALLY lies on what was on your body and how you looked in it while working out. It's not your Asianess, but just your cheeks.

when you bring out your ethnicity i will automatically NEVER side with you from the start.

i need REAL proof of discrimination in that respect. in most cases, it's not cut and dry discrimination. it's you or your act, or your clothing.

Stop the racist talk and REALLY examine your own actions and choices.

you'd be surprised as to how fair people reallt are.you just might have a happier life.

to Anonymous #1383952

Just a passerby.

Regardless of this act being discriminatory of race or not, do you really think a 58 year old woman would wear (and also based on what she's mentioned of how she normally wears clothes) a skirt/pant or a skort that rode up to her butt cheeks?

How in the world would you know if that was the case?

Based on what you said, if there was a misconduct in what she wore and thus was against the gym's protocol, I wouldn't think that ape of an employee would be smiling as such in the picture. She should've explained to that woman and use proper language to do so.

I hope she got what she deserved - a proper education to learn about professional demeanour or forever banned from any customer related positions with the tag she'll have. Goodness.