91.4K views

I called to see if I could join with my daughter who is under the age of 10 but was recomended by her doctor to do some cardio activities.All I wanted was for she and I to go walk and do the stepper.

I was told they WILL NOT ALLOW ANYONE under the age of 13 to join! Now how is it that you want to cure childhood obesity but have an age limit even with an adult not leaving their side?! its a load of bs and this company will never be getting any money from me. I even asked if I could bring in a doctors note stating that she needed to workout and would never be without an adult.

Was rudely cute off and told it was a corporate policy. I'm beyond livid.

So you're telling me you want to not have overweith children but only ones that are teens?Good talk Planet Fitness.

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Had an Experience with Planet Fitness?

Comments

They can't join if they are under under 13 but, if you get the platinum membership you can bring unlimited guests. That's what I did and I bring my 12 year old daughter with me when I go.

Try your local ymca they have zumba, and workout classes for kids while the adults are doing their workout classes. I did this here in NC until my daughter turned 13 and she loved it because she was exercising with kids her age.

They have a minimum age because of research that shows that you shouldn't let or force your kid start working out until a certain age, just don't overfeed your child

to Anonymous #1390298

A child being over weight isn’t always caused by over eating.There are many determining factors; medical conditions (thyroid, low metabolism); psychological problems that cause a child to over eat to cope.

Don’t be so *** judgmental if you don’t know the whole story! I was over weight as a kid and it wasn’t from over eating bc I ate 2x a day all my life. But doctors promote exercise for any child of any age.

I understand the frustration with gyms not allowing a child to workout.

My daughter wants to work out at the gym too, but I have found a way to get her out and about around the apts we live in. Or I’ll take her to the park. Playing on the park works all kinds of their muscles with climbing and running, etc. But I also filled water bottles up with rocks, magnets, and marbles at home to take the place of dumbbells.

It’s cheap and it works.It’s not too much weight for them to start off with, and we do our own at home to music.

Can you be 14 and join planet fitness

to Anonymous #1389404

yesa

Can my 9 yearold join to

I'm 12 years old I need to work out my cousin offered to take me and I went over their and that told me I couldn't join because I'm under age I'm like are you serious I want to be healthy and get fit but for some reason I can't join because I'm 12 like are you serious at least let kids who are 10 and over go with a person who is 18+ like for real I bet there is a bunch of people who think the same and for real change your rules

to Anonymous #1385086

But can thirteen years olds go with an adult

They are actually doing what is best in the interest of children.If you bothered to do any kind of research on exercise programs for children, you would see that it is advised that children should not do any kind of weight lifting exercises until they are over the age of 14.

Their skeletal frames are still hardening until that point and it can cause serious issues.If you are really that worried about fighting childhood obesity- improve your child's diet and make sure they are getting plenty of cardiovascular activity!