Planet Fitness - Will not allow children under the age of 13 to workout...

728 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

I called to see if I could join with my daughter who is under the age of 10 but was recomended by her doctor to do some cardio activities.All I wanted was for she and I to go walk and do the stepper.

I was told they WILL NOT ALLOW ANYONE under the age of 13 to join! Now how is it that you want to cure childhood obesity but have an age limit even with an adult not leaving their side?! its a load of bs and this company will never be getting any money from me. I even asked if I could bring in a doctors note stating that she needed to workout and would never be without an adult.

Was rudely cute off and told it was a corporate policy. I'm beyond livid.

So you're telling me you want to not have overweith children but only ones that are teens?Good talk Planet Fitness.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 159 Yes 159 141 No 141
Had the same issue 240 Yes 240
728 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

Feb 19 #1290539

All of these negative comments are shamful on both sides. That is the gyms policy, and they were set into place for a reason. Get over it come back when they are 13. Find an alternative gym or workout method in the meantime. As for everyones comments on bad parenting and fat kids...you have absolutely no idea what their lifestyle and home life is like. What good does it do you to be mean? It is sad that these are the kind of people out there, no wonder we have so many kids with bully issues, thats all most of you are.

1 0 Reply
Kiara

Feb 17 #1289819

Did you find somewhere and if so do you have a recommendation by the way I am 10 yrs old

0 0 Reply

Feb 06 #1282318

There are reasons under age is not allowed.The risk of injury is serious my son was 19.He had his finger cut off because of weights do to a irresponsible friend. $14.000.00 dollars later due to medical costs that my son is paying out on his own .He was in between insurance co no fault of his .My point they saved his finger and two hospitals.Heed my warning their is a reason for everything trust me!!!!! Outdoors are awesome their are other options .I'm from Texas.

1 1 Reply

Feb 06 #1282309

You don't need the gym to work out for your daughter like post before there are other options.Ride a bike,walking,and so on.....

2 0 Reply

Feb 06 #1282306

Hi I ran Into that wheny kids were younger they have to be 17 or 18 they don't want a law suit .All gyms in Amarillo are like that good luck

1 0 Reply

Feb 02 #1280337

Instead of ranting and raving about Planet Fitness, why don't you concentrate on your daughter's well-being? I mean, that IS your top priority, right? Swimming, jumping rope, walking, hiking, bicycle riding, figure skating, roller blading, kayaking, dance class...how many do I have to list before it dawns on you that yes, crazy as it sounds, it IS possible for exercise to take place outside of a gym.

Bob

Jan 31 #1279356

First off learn how to proof read and spell. Try consulting a physician, you'll find out it is not advised for children to lift weights. And yes I can read, you said cardio, but if you let everyone in, how will they keep everyone under 13 from not lifting. Everyone likes to break and make their own rules... Try a good old fashioned bicycle !!!

0 3 Reply
Anonmayous

Jan 20 #1273834

That's *** u shouldn't have to be a carton age to go

2 5 Reply

Jan 21 #1274028 Corona, California, United States

Whoever said bring her to the park, no im below the age of 9 and i go and waxh YT videos i think she should do tht and kid u dum

5 1 Reply
Chassidy

Feb 04 #1281344

You dont have to call the kid fat ***.

5 0 Reply

Jan 16 #1271757

I brought my 10 year old niece and asked if she could sit at the table and listen to her music and play gsmes on her phone while I worked out.The girl at the desk said no,she could not even be on premises if she is not 13 or older.That is BS.I only see in their policy that they have to be 13 to work out.Has anyone else had this issue? I am canceling my membership.

Jan 18 #1272885 Dalton, Georgia, United States

Yes I just had this issue today. Not everyone is fortunate to have a babysitter I think its bs when it's a good child sitting there not causing any problems.

Jan 13 #1270444 Baltimore, Maryland, United States

Their liability of a child not knowing what they are doing, then getting hurt would be huge. Get outside and walk at night. Just the same

4 1 Reply

Jan 09 #1268444 Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States

Exactly, my 12 year old is VERY mature and is 160 pounds overweight. She needs to work out, But can't find a gym that let's her go! Does anyone know of a gym that will allow a twelve year old come to a gym with her older sister that is 15? Please help!!!

3 5 Reply

Jan 14 #1270837

Ymca

1 2 Reply

1-20 of 217 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.