98.1K views

I called to see if I could join with my daughter who is under the age of 10 but was recomended by her doctor to do some cardio activities.All I wanted was for she and I to go walk and do the stepper.

I was told they WILL NOT ALLOW ANYONE under the age of 13 to join! Now how is it that you want to cure childhood obesity but have an age limit even with an adult not leaving their side?! its a load of bs and this company will never be getting any money from me. I even asked if I could bring in a doctors note stating that she needed to workout and would never be without an adult.

Was rudely cute off and told it was a corporate policy. I'm beyond livid.

So you're telling me you want to not have overweith children but only ones that are teens?Good talk Planet Fitness.

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Comments

No. They cannot join. But can come as a guest with you and only allowed to use cardio

Insurance sets the rules based on the premiums they want to pay.Under 13 they kids require special areas and special supervision.

Allowing under 13 would price the memberships way too high because of additional space required, additional staff required and higher premiums ALL of which would create a much less affordable gym that does not fit with their business model. So there's the "Y", and the park, organized non school sports, soccer, gymnastics for kids.

My son did gymnastics up until age 10. These were kids that were not vying to be professionals, just having fun learning trampoline, balance, then balance on a low beam, minor tumbling, standing on your head, coordination, even dance moves. It was a 3 month summer program, affordable, 1.5 hours 3 times a week.

More girls than boys, like 4 to 1, but starting early, he didn't care.

Was it enuf? Well, at least it was something. He was more of a brainiac than athletic. I tried him in soccer, tennis, basketball, trying to find something he'd like to adopt.

Nope, his nose was in books.

Eventually, no matter how hard you try to teach them to eat right, or moderation, at 16, and a part time job later, he bought his own junk. A mother's nag can really make it worse - Like love being withheld because you're overweight. Been there, had that done you me, I couldn't do that to him.

Eventually, and to my delight, he chose to workout on his own, nothing big, no six pack abs, he just went for what pf offered, which was general fitness, got his own membership.

He realized he needed stamina for college and the trainer helped to cheer him on. It takes time, and I'm proud of him for sticking with it.

Now he's about to graduate university, then onto Law School in the fall. No matter what, I'm proud that I never put him down for his weight. He spent enuf time being his own worst enemy. I didn't do today's stupid Body Positivity, Healthy At Any Weight BS, because THAT is TRUE BS.

Take overweight life one day at a time. Find a program, Weight Watchers, etc, research online for a healthy good tasting direction and find something that has activity. There is so much help online, so many more ideas today than I, as an overweight mom, had. I found a path to a healthier weight and so did he.

Be easy and supportive of your children, don't withhold love, or even the slight appearance of it, AND don't panic.

Again, one day at a time, one age at a time.Good luck!

Wow. You’re having a bad day.

to Anonymous #1409390

in 2013... I wonder if she ever went back once her child was age eligible.

to Anonymous #1422012

You know she was the reason she was obese in the first place...

It most likely has something to do with insurance, and their hands are truly tied. Taking it out on the person who answers the phone will get you nowhere when decisions are made at a corporate level, and probably for insurance reasons.

They can't join if they are under under 13 but, if you get the platinum membership you can bring unlimited guests. That's what I did and I bring my 12 year old daughter with me when I go.

to troolyblessed #1413181

Hi.. I want to take my son he is 12 and is very over weight but he looks 14 yeses old. So they are letting her work out?

to troolyblessed #1418236

I wonder if I could bring my 10 year old... Did you have to have the birth certificate to bring her?

Try your local ymca they have zumba, and workout classes for kids while the adults are doing their workout classes. I did this here in NC until my daughter turned 13 and she loved it because she was exercising with kids her age.