110K views

I called to see if I could join with my daughter who is under the age of 10 but was recomended by her doctor to do some cardio activities. All I wanted was for she and I to go walk and do the stepper.

I was told they WILL NOT ALLOW ANYONE under the age of 13 to join! Now how is it that you want to cure childhood obesity but have an age limit even with an adult not leaving their side?! its a load of bs and this company will never be getting any money from me. I even asked if I could bring in a doctors note stating that she needed to workout and would never be without an adult.

Was rudely cute off and told it was a corporate policy. I'm beyond livid.

So you're telling me you want to not have overweith children but only ones that are teens? Good talk Planet Fitness.

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Comments

I understand your complaint. It makes sense to be angry.

But even thought children may have a lot of energy, I don’t think it’s a good idea to make them go to the gym and work their *** off. Besides, it’s NOT going to be easy to find a place that will accept a child under 10 YEARS OLD.

I agree exercise for kids is important as much for teens and adults. Think ill go elsewhere with my money as well!

BlindEagle

They don't claim anywhere that they want to cure childhood obesity so i don't know where you pulled that one from. You child, who must be obese since you brought it up, can take walks outside - for free! Sorry you don't know that a gym isn't needed for a workout.

to BlindEagle #1510617

You're not a Blind Eagle ; you see things very clearly. One YES vote.

I think one reason the rule is set in place is because the equipment can be very dangerous for anyone, let alone a young child. Fingers can be totally pinched off if they happen to get caught where they are not supposed to be.

It only takes not watching a child for a second for something really bad to happen. Also, one parent/family may be very attentive and make sure the child is not unruly or mischievous but there are so many "family personalities and dynamics" and the company cannot be sure every parent will indeed supervise the child.Yes, some young children are older than their years but most children of elementary school age and even early middle school age are not mature enough to be in the gym environment with all the equipment around. Personally I have not been in any gym situation that allowed a child younger than 12 to participate. It is just too dangerous.There are other ways to do cardio, not just in a formal setting, though I do agree with getting our kids used to the gym atmosphere early so they are used to the workout setting, just not so early.

The equipment is dangerous even for adults if not used properly, and young bones and muscles/ligaments are very vulnerable and susceptible to injury if not exercised appropriately for their young age and development.Taking a walk at a brisk pace, dancing, and other activities are very good cardio and can provide good family/bonding time with a young child. It does not have to be a formal setting and a child may appreciate that atmosphere better.

to Anonymous #1523907

YMCA allows kids in the gym

My son is 11 and really wants to be able to go to the gym and I would definitely go if he could come. I know some parents do not supervise their children and some children are unruly.

However there should be someway to let the parents and children who would not disturb others. With child obesity children need to be able to go with their parent as long as they are using the gym appropriately and if not the gym should be able to ask you to leave, but not all kids should be punished.

You know kids kids have be able to lose weight, exercise, and be healthy long before planet fitness or gyms came around right? Planet fitness is a business and they have to have some standard rules and policies.

They don't know your child. It is also would be impossible for them to determine if your child could use the equipment correctly and wouldn't disrupt the environment of the gym. Planet fitness has strict rules to govern the environment of the their gyms. While your child may be a perfectly well behaved child and you may be able properly supervisor them the gym has no way of knowing that and there is of course liability.

Insurance when it comes to business is often determined by the company's policy or insurance can actually cause a company to make a policy. Meaning that Planet fitness might pay a cheaper rate when it comes to insurance by banning child under the age of 13 or their insurance might require that the company ensures no one under the age of 13 uses the gym.

There is also another possible which is that planet fitness could allow child under the age of 13 but they would do so at their own risk and Planet Fitness's insurance policy will not cover anything for those cases. Any of this possibilities would be a huge risk for Planet Fitness.

I need to chime in here. Just so you know diet, not exercise will make you lose weight.

yes exercise is good but will not make you lose weight if you don't adjust your diet. Meaning you can lose weight by diet alone!

YAY!!!I CAN WORKOUT CAUSE I AM THIRTEEN!!!!!!!

My kid went to a boxing gym at the age of 9. He used the equipment and trained.

Got bloody lips and all. Pretty sure Planet Fitness would be easier on youth.

For Heaven's sakes just kick out people with kids who won't mind. Mine actually has manners and is respectful.

to jle #1510660

yes I go to gym to work out but this work out time is a chance for me to have a minute to myself without kids. If you want to take your kids then go to your local ymca

i am 12 but will be 13 in july can i join

Children don't belong in a gym. Liability reasons.All it takes is one child to misuse the equipment, get hurt, then the parent slaps a lawsuit.The Ymca is better for kids.

ya basic

I would not want to work out around a child.

I can understand their point of view for not letting your daughter in, even if you did say that her doctor recommended her to get more physical exercise, because they don't know her, or how she will act, and it is just a corporate policy, but I'm surprised at the fact that they did Nied a for not letting your daughter in, even if you did say that her doctor recommended her to get more physical exercise, because they don't know her, or how she will act, and it is just a corporate policy, but I'm surprised at the fact that they where deny an actual doctors note... If I were you I would have contacted corporate about that, maybe if you got a doctors note you could slip between the lines, but obviously you'd have to go to like a CEO or something

13 is actually one of the youngest ages gyms allow...They are a business and they have liability issues...it’s a gym not a daycare.

I think that kids should use the treadmill because its just walking and running.

I would not go to a gym that allowed children in there. Too much of a liability for the business and people don’t watch their kids.

Too bad. Find another way to exercise.