130K views

I called to see if I could join with my daughter who is under the age of 10 but was recomended by her doctor to do some cardio activities. All I wanted was for she and I to go walk and do the stepper.

I was told they WILL NOT ALLOW ANYONE under the age of 13 to join! Now how is it that you want to cure childhood obesity but have an age limit even with an adult not leaving their side?! its a load of bs and this company will never be getting any money from me. I even asked if I could bring in a doctors note stating that she needed to workout and would never be without an adult.

Was rudely cute off and told it was a corporate policy. I'm beyond livid.

So you're telling me you want to not have overweith children but only ones that are teens? Good talk Planet Fitness.

Product or Service Mentioned: Planet Fitness Membership.

Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Comments

I joined Planet Fitness because they do not allow children at the facility. If I wanted to be around that environment I would have joined a gym with a daycare or the YMCA.

Planet Fitness is a no fluff gym for adults that are serious about getting in shape and not being in an intimidating or stressful atmospher. Lets face it!, most parents do not watch there children when they are working out anyway and who needs that aggravation and headache?

@PissedConsumer787009

you say adults...what about adults acting like children who do not understand signs...like for example no usage of cellular phones...or just sitting on the machines doing nothing but laughing and chit chatting with friends and you waiting for your turn?!

@PissedConsumer787009

Ohh and by the way, PF has that policy of age limit but they (employees) themselves do not implement it. When you go in they do not even look at you..depends on the employee working...but some they just flirt with the male trainors, they don't even ask for your member#...they say that if you bring your child they ask for state id or passport if id is not available...well sadly they don't. So why have that policy anyway.

I highly doubt that any PF would make the exception. 12 is 12, and all PFs have age restrictions of 13.

But you are still within your 3 days of grace!!!!! Go back immediately!!!!! and get your full refund!!!! $0 buyout!!!!!

Look on your agreement, this is clearly stated.

Do not delay a second. However, you will probably not receive your refund immediately because this is usually not allowed by Staff, but you will probably be issued a check in the mail.

Having children in a gym using equipment is a definite legal liability. Walking is free.

You could also consider the Y. They have swimming pools and different exercise programs for kids.

Well want to hear something better. My dad joined as a black card member and was told he could bring my 12 year old brother as his guest.

Well the next day they went back there to work out and they declined to let him in. My dad said I specifically had him with me yesterday when I joined and you told me 12 was ok as long as he was with an adult at all times. So, they would not let my dad cancel the membership without paying the buy out fee but yet he signed up only because he was told he could take my brother.

Planet fitness is full of false information and sneaky people. It's pathetic.

@PissedConsumer782949

Sorry, my above reply was for you. Here it is again:I highly doubt that any PF would make the exception.

12 is 12, and all PFs have age restrictions of 13. But you are still within your 3 days of grace!!!!! Go back immediately!!!!! and get your full refund!!!!

$0 buyout!!!!! Look on your agreement, this is clearly stated. Do not delay a second.

OMG! It actually sounds like you are blaming childhood obesity on Planet Fitness...

They, they they. PF isn't a government run gym, it's a business. Take

some responsibility for getting your child in this mess. A gym membership is not going to solve it.

Change your lifestyle, change your eating habits, walk a mall, walk a dog, and stop whining! You've just given your kid the perfect excuse to fail: your miserable tirade for blaming other people.

@PissedConsumer775969

You know, when you actually read the rant, yep, it sure sound like Planet Fitness is to blame for child obesity, and maybe the Ms. Obama should force PF to..., oh gosh, I can't even go there.

Stop looking for someone else to solve your problems! Sure, PF is a GREAT place to workout and it is cheap, but insurance isn't cheap. You want 10 year olds, others want Silver Sneakers, etc. That would do away with cheap rates immediately...

And there are plenty of people who complain that $10 a month is to high!

You and your daughter can go walking any place. When the weather is inclement go to a mall and do what people here refer to as "mall walking," you just can't stop in the stores, most of the ones that I see don't even bother looking in the windows of the stores, they are there to strictly walk and a lot of them have arm movements that they do while walking.

They also keep up a good, steady fast pace.

As far as the stair stepping, find a long flight of steps and go up and down them several times, whenever you get near them. You don't need a gym membership for the kind of exercise you want to do.

Two words: insurance liability.

Planet Fitness Reviews