39.8K views

I got a letter to come back to Planet Fitness so I went to join with my husband. They denied my membership because I only have a credit card!

My husband and I did away with our bank account months ago due to high fees and hearing this really makes me Irate! So you can't prepay unless they're offering it as a special, you can't use a credit card, and you can't pay in cash month by month. What big corporation doesn't take credit/debit credit cards?

Talk about single-ing people out! Guess I need to find a better gym!

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Comments

I used the Wal-Mart money card and they let me. All they need is a routing number.

Sounds like this PF is just scamming people. I recently joined our local community center and they have workout equipment just like the gym.

Best thing, it's free. Don't have to have checking account to join.

I am having the same problem. BUT I don't allow anyone into my checking account, not even my husband

Your debit card has an aba number and an account number, call the card company and they will provide. P fitness will never know the difference as it looks like checking, and honestly it technically is.

Totally agree, why don't they take credit cards BS

to JEL #1536415

If you have a debit card you have a checking account. And of course they take credit cards.

its a scam.... they want to attach your checking so they can over bill monthly.Do your self a favor.

find another gym.PF does not accept prepayment either!!!!!If thats not a sign I do not know what is.We canceled membership and they still are billing our account. SCAM

to Anonymous #1536419

You obviously didnt read what the contract when YOU signed it. You have to cancel by a certain date to stop for the next month, like any other ACH agreement.

All was listed in the agreement. Maybe people should read and then sign.

That’s because having a checking account they are plugged into account and it’s easier for them to submit a ach and take money the out your account even after canceling

Just tried joining PF. A checking account?

Really!!!! I really wanted to join but I guess I am out. Agree with others who has time for a checking account?

Guess that why it’s always empty when I go by. SMH

Planet Fitness losing customers. Can't use a credit card so won't be going back

This is so true, I totally agree. I wanted to join and they said they require 2 forms of payment.

There is no reason for this at all. They don't disclose reason for doing so, and don't explain up front you need 2 methods of payment on file.

Also they won't allow people to join with 6month or yearly membership to pay cash for the year or 6 months. WHEN DOES ANY RESPECTABLE DECENT BUSINESS NOT ALLOW PAYMENT UP FRONT FOR A YEAR??????

to Sheryl #1465438

When they want to continue billing you when they are not supposed to do so. It is all about the money, not the health of people trying to work out.

to Sheryl #1563304

I tried to pay with cash in full and with my credit card and both were denied....I dont want a monthly payment. I have the cash and just want to get it over with. Why is this such a hassle?

I was contemplating joining, but am adamant about not giving out my bank information for this type of thing. It's just easier to pay up front in cash and not have to worry about some dishonest person(s) figuring out a way to use this highly sensitive bank info to possibly steal from you and then have the hassle of trying to get your bank to replace funds that were stolen.

The risk for fraud is too high so I will look at finding another gym that has the same (or more) amenities and pray that the price isn't too much higher than planet fitness. What a shame.

That is exactly what i said and i have a checking with mine with direct deposit how is that not acceptable?

Why in the world does planet fitness need a credit card for the down payment and a checking account for the monthly fees? Who does that?

I’m not sure if you’re aware of this but debit cards, whether their a “regular” debit card or a “prepaid” debit card, they both accept ACH debits via their checking account number & routing number. So, to resolve your issue of not having a checking account, just purchase a prepaid debit card from any retailer such as Walmart. Then provide PF with the routing number & account number associated with your card!

to Monica Thompson #1432807

Best answer

to Monica Thompson #1471430

They don’t accept prepaid debit cards either I just went through this. I joined online and entered in the checking and routing number with my GreenDot prepaid Visa card.

They charged me the start up fee and when I went in they told me I needed a different checking account (which I don’t have!) to pay for my monthly fee. They didn’t tell me this when I joined online and now I can’t join and won’t refund me the start up fee!!