Planet Fitness - Won't allow me to join because I only have a debit/credit card not checking account!

1038 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

I got a letter to come back to Planet Fitness so I went to join with my husband.They denied my membership because I only have a credit card!

My husband and I did away with our bank account months ago due to high fees and hearing this really makes me Irate! So you can't prepay unless they're offering it as a special, you can't use a credit card, and you can't pay in cash month by month. What big corporation doesn't take credit/debit credit cards?

Talk about single-ing people out!Guess I need to find a better gym!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 69 Yes 69
1038 of 1171 Planet Fitness reviews

Feb 19 #1290558 Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

unbelievably ***!
would you give your bank account details to some kid at the desk who works there, wait for this to turn into a legal disaster

Nov 03, 2016 #1235889 Palo Alto, California, United States

I bet the reason they do this is because of their shady practices, because once they charge your bank account directly, you can't dispute it like you can with credit cards!

Jan 15 #1271353 Pompano Beach, Florida, United States

Part of the reason they do, is for a business reason. Business have to pay a percentage of the transaction to the credit card company every time it is used. This is called a merchant fee. So when they bill your card 19.99 and low price for a gym already. They may have to pay 1.9% on a merchant fee. Or whatever the negotiated rate is between the bank and business.
Second, credit cards expire. The security code on the back changes. The expiration date changes. However, your bank account doesn't expire. Your account routing number and account number typically stay the same.
Some people like to use credit cards so they can canel the card or say it was stolen so the business can't charge the card, as a way to breach a contract they signed. And did not read the contract before they signed it.
While I agree it would be nice to prepay for the year. But then you have to deal with refunds when people decide they don't want to be a member anymore. From a business and accounting view that process is a hassle as compared to taking money.
Just my thoughts. There really is no reason anyone shouldn't have a checking account. Credit score doesn't matter. It's not the old days where you could write a check at the store and bank of the fact that the store won't deposit it right away. So you could "float" the check till you got paid. Everything is electronic now. You got to the store and the ACH debit your account anyway.
As for the people who call it discrimination. It's
... Show more

1 0 Reply

Oct 21, 2016 #1230193 Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

I am a widow. So I have one income not two. It doesn't make me trash. I do not have a checking account. I do prefer one.

Tulsa

Oct 21, 2016 #1230186 Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States

Same here. I only have a debit card. No checking account. I sent them email telling them that was discrimination against me. I got a email back about nothing .

Jan 01 #1264040 Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States

This isn't discrimination in the legal sense. People without checking accounts aren't considered a protected class.

Sep 02, 2016 #1207421 Akron, Ohio, United States

You should be able to pay with a pre paid debit card long as you get your money it shouldn't matter

2 0 Reply

Jul 27, 2016 #1190621 Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Too all the *** people saying no one with a checking account is trash. LmaO. They require a checking account because as long as they have your checking account they keep re billing you every month. plus there is that month were all the gyms now charge about 40 dollars calling it a new equip fund fee on top of your reg monthly charge. Gyms make it so hard to quit. demanding you go through all these hoops plus giving a 30 to 45 day notice (so they can squeeze one more payment out of you). They know by telling people no bank account, no membership that it will force people to give their bank info. If your an *** then you will give it to them.If your smarter than them you will walk. Too many gyms offer cash prepay 3,6,12 month plans. Be glad they are being this difficult in the beginning. its a sign..The sign is called run away... Or youll see in the end .

Jul 03, 2016 #1180924 Clute, Texas, United States

I for one don't want to be working out around the types of people who can't even get a checking account! What kind of person can't get a checking account? Maybe they want to make sure scammers or trash or people on welfare aren't using other people's money to join a health club....
A line has to be drawn somewhere to keep those types away from the rest of civilized society

1 32 Reply

Jan 04 #1265281 Newark, New Jersey, United States

You sound so ***, I'd rather be considered trash then to be so judgemental and full of myself as you are! The same people that you talk so low about would be the first in line to help you when you're down as the idiots as yourself would just stick their snobby little noses in the air. Thank you for going to gyms that demand your account info, so that we can keep the real gyms clutter and judgment free! I choose not to have bank accounts because I don't need my money in someone else's hands, I choose not to have an account because I have better methods of investing and saving. You go ahead and follow in line with the rest of the sheep you dirty ***!

Jan 16 #1271932 Mishawaka, Indiana, United States

Douche! Almost everyone can get a checking account. Lots of people CHOOSE not to. God forbid I would ever have to work out around someone as pretentious as you. That my dear would be a line I would draw. Civilized people as you call them, I'm sure, think you are a judgemental *** as well. I can smell the stank of a nasty attitude. If only we could find a place for your type!

0 1 Reply

Apr 10, 2016 #1142347

I refused to give them my checking account numbers so I couldn't join. Too *** bad for them!

2 0 Reply

Mar 07, 2016 #1123402

I think its soo *** to not allow customers to join because they only have a prepaid debit card or no checking account. Dont they realize how much bussiness their missing out on? Ive NEVER heard of a large corperation not accepting credit/debit cards. Its discrimination plain and simple!!!

5 0 Reply

Feb 04, 2016 #1106085

That is so true me and my wife had the same problem I really don't think it's fair everyone does not have a checking account I'm afended

Jan 28, 2016 #1102340

I agree this is *** my thing is if you want to pay up front for the whole year why can't you!

1-20 of 55 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.