29.2K views

I got a letter to come back to Planet Fitness so I went to join with my husband.They denied my membership because I only have a credit card!

My husband and I did away with our bank account months ago due to high fees and hearing this really makes me Irate! So you can't prepay unless they're offering it as a special, you can't use a credit card, and you can't pay in cash month by month. What big corporation doesn't take credit/debit credit cards?

Talk about single-ing people out!Guess I need to find a better gym!

Review about: Planet Fitness Membership.

Had an Experience with Planet Fitness?

Comments

Framingham, Massachusetts, United States #1290558

unbelievably ***!

would you give your bank account details to some kid at the desk who works there, wait for this to turn into a legal disaster

Bonaire, Georgia, United States #1265653

Your first mistake was going to Planet Fitness

Palo Alto, California, United States #1235889

I bet the reason they do this is because of their shady practices, because once they charge your bank account directly, you can't dispute it like you can with credit cards!

to Anonymous Pompano Beach, Florida, United States #1271353

Part of the reason they do, is for a business reason.Business have to pay a percentage of the transaction to the credit card company every time it is used.

This is called a merchant fee. So when they bill your card 19.99 and low price for a gym already. They may have to pay 1.9% on a merchant fee. Or whatever the negotiated rate is between the bank and business.

Second, credit cards expire. The security code on the back changes. The expiration date changes. However, your bank account doesn't expire.

Your account routing number and account number typically stay the same.

Some people like to use credit cards so they can canel the card or say it was stolen so the business can't charge the card, as a way to breach a contract they signed. And did not read the contract before they signed it.

While I agree it would be nice to prepay for the year.

But then you have to deal with refunds when people decide they don't want to be a member anymore. From a business and accounting view that process is a hassle as compared to taking money.

Just my thoughts. There really is no reason anyone shouldn't have a checking account.

Credit score doesn't matter. It's not the old days where you could write a check at the store and bank of the fact that the store won't deposit it right away. So you could "float" the check till you got paid. Everything is electronic now.

You got to the store and the ACH debit your account...

As for the people who call it discrimination. It's not. The fact that you do or don't have a checking account is not a protected class.

No one says that you have to join planet fitness. They are not denying your right to be healthy. That's just ridiculous. You can work out at home.

You can work out at public parks that have the basic gym equipment.

You can go for a walk, do cardio in your backyard or public space if you don't have a house.Stop being ridiculous ant thinking the world revolves only around you.

to Anonymous #1304294

That's true!That's just good business.

Its nothing personal, it just sucks for some people (like me) who want to do away with their checking account but can't because I really like going to planet fitness and still think its worth it to keep it open. The price is WAY CHEAPER then all the gyms out there! Life can already be stressful enough and little things like this just makes the stressful things seem much bigger then what they are. I don't have anything bad to say about planet fitness either, it is what it is, if its not for u then just find some place else to go!

But!Business is business no matter where u go!

to Anonymous Grand Haven, Michigan, United States #1288643

Sure you can. You need to find a new bank....

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States #1230193

I am a widow.So I have one income not two.

It doesn't make me trash.

I do not have a checking account.I do prefer one.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States #1230186

Same here.I only have a debit card.

No checking account.

I sent them email telling them that was discrimination against me.I got a email back about nothing .

to Tulsa Hot Springs, Arkansas, United States #1264040

This isn't discrimination in the legal sense. People without checking accounts aren't considered a protected class.

North Providence, Rhode Island, United States #1211591

This just happened to me now! I'm so pissed off! Not for nothing, I would think a debit card is more trusting than a checking account!