Planet Fitness - Won't allow me to join because I only have a debit/credit card not checking account!

I got a letter to come back to Planet Fitness so I went to join with my husband.They denied my membership because I only have a credit card!

My husband and I did away with our bank account months ago due to high fees and hearing this really makes me Irate! So you can't prepay unless they're offering it as a special, you can't use a credit card, and you can't pay in cash month by month. What big corporation doesn't take credit/debit credit cards?

Talk about single-ing people out!Guess I need to find a better gym!

More Review Details

Helpful? 89 Yes 89 95 No 95
Had the same issue 62 Yes 62
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 12 #1211591 North Providence, Rhode Island

This just happened to me now! I'm so pissed off! Not for nothing, I would think a debit card is more trusting than a checking account!

Sep 02 #1207421 Akron, Ohio

You should be able to pay with a pre paid debit card long as you get your money it shouldn't matter

Jul 27 #1190621 Cleveland, Ohio

Too all the *** people saying no one with a checking account is trash. LmaO. They require a checking account because as long as they have your checking account they keep re billing you every month. plus there is that month were all the gyms now charge about 40 dollars calling it a new equip fund fee on top of your reg monthly charge. Gyms make it so hard to quit. demanding you go through all these hoops plus giving a 30 to 45 day notice (so they can squeeze one more payment out of you). They know by telling people no bank account, no membership that it will force people to give their bank info. If your an *** then you will give it to them.If your smarter than them you will walk. Too many gyms offer cash prepay 3,6,12 month plans. Be glad they are being this difficult in the beginning. its a sign..The sign is called run away... Or youll see in the end .

Jul 26 #1189997 Monroe, Louisiana

Why can't a person pay six month in advance,

Jul 03 #1180924 Clute, Texas

I for one don't want to be working out around the types of people who can't even get a checking account! What kind of person can't get a checking account? Maybe they want to make sure scammers or trash or people on welfare aren't using other people's money to join a health club....
A line has to be drawn somewhere to keep those types away from the rest of civilized society

0 5 Reply

Apr 10 #1142347

I refused to give them my checking account numbers so I couldn't join. Too *** bad for them!

Mar 07 #1123402

I think its soo *** to not allow customers to join because they only have a prepaid debit card or no checking account. Dont they realize how much bussiness their missing out on? Ive NEVER heard of a large corperation not accepting credit/debit cards. Its discrimination plain and simple!!!

Feb 04 #1106085

That is so true me and my wife had the same problem I really don't think it's fair everyone does not have a checking account I'm afended

Jan 28 #1102340

I agree this is *** my thing is if you want to pay up front for the whole year why can't you!

dhog13

Jan 11 #1092687 Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Happened to me also. Even offered to buy the upgraded package if they would accomodate.

Jan 07 #1090813

I think that it's just wrong that Planet Fitness won't allow me membership because I have a debit/credit card. What are they afraid of? They just lost what could have been a very loyal customer/member!

mango1132

Nov 21, 2015 #1067577 Eureka, California

REALLY YOU NEED A BANK ACCOUNT TO JOIN......THAT'S THE MOST *** THING EVER.....WELL, GUESS I'M NOT JOINING THERE *** GYM.

Nov 19, 2015 #1066333

They are ***, it says right on the money "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private". I guess the money has to be modified now by adding "Except planet fitness".

3 0 Reply
Ricky Ricardo

Nov 09, 2015 #1060658 Lynn, Massachusetts

I have the same opinion planet fitness sucks like ***. Not everone has a chenking account and to open one for just that purpose is rediculouse.

Sep 21, 2015 #1036841

Unfortunately, some people don't have checking accounts because of one bad experience or another, and you are quite fortunate you have never had problems with your checking account or the gym, and I hope you never do, but eventually as corrupt and dishonest as people are in this world, someone will get your information and *** into your accounts unless you have account protection, but it is inevitable that it can happen, but I agree, whether it's cash, debit/checking or credit card it's all the same, one isn't worth more than the other and quite frankly, cash is a guaranteed payment (in spite of it being a debt instrument). Debit cards or credit cards don't guarantee the money is there either, so I guess it just depends on the corporation and their requirements of payment. But just not fair for the few that it causes a problem for...just saying.

chulini

Sep 21, 2015 #1036835

I had similar problems with bank accounts and identity theft where the bank wouldn't back me. Now all I have is a credit card and would really like to rejoin Planet Fitness again to stay in shape, but I guess I will have to go elsewhere also. What a shame! Maybe I just need to start adding equipment to my home and save on gas clear across town!

Aug 19, 2015 #1021506

I don't understand why anyone has any problems with them. I guess everyone has different experiences, but I don't. I gave them my bank info and every month on the 17th there is a $19.99 charge taken out, nothing more, nothing less. I have had zero issues. I do agree that if you're paying for membership, it shouldn't matter if it's cash, credit or debit. I would prefer to pay for it in cash and have it all out of the way instead of worrying if you lose your card or if you have insufficient funds, but almost every if not all chain gym requires a membership paid with a debit card. Like most things you subscribe to. I love the gym. :)

4 14 Reply

Dec 08, 2015 #1075497

You don't get it you ***. The thread is not all ppl have a checking account, some of us can't some don't choose to, but to deny our needs to be fit and healthy cause of a few digits is disgusting. If we have the money, regardless of how we pay it we should not be denied services. A@@hole!!

11 5 Reply

Jan 18 #1096673

*** ***... this is typical. " O im fine with the gym da drrr ka drrrr".. "whats their problem"?? "don't they have a bank with lots of money like me too"???.... in a slow knuckle dragging voice...
Hey annomous *** above go kill yourself.
Thanks.

1 4 Reply

1-20 of 46 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.